Random Reboots - the full story.

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
Hey,

Around this time last year i posted with you guys when i was making my first homebuilt computer. I posted that i was having some issues with random reboots when playing games not long afterward. Well i am buying new components soon, and i want to know exactly what is going wrong and if there is anyway to fix it. I dont want to replace thing that are fine as it is :).

Firstly I could only play 10-15 mins of non-demanding computer play before my computer would reboot as if i told it to. I reinstalled drivers and BIOS, and the problem went away for a long time. A few months ago i noticed that i could get my computer to reboot like before by multi-tasking between demanding games - It wasnt such an issue as I was only testing the limits of my build.

The last few week however have been different, and my computer keeps rebooting on EVE-online and other such games. I have ran memtest, and my RAM is fine. Which leads me to believe it is either my GFX card or my PSU.

So here comes a few details:

Event viewer says:

Error code 1000007f, parameter1 0000000d, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.
(appears as a STOP error)

And in my mobo setup (no programs running ofc) my PSU was getting:

3.3V - 3.248
5V - 4.992
12V - 12.144
Vcore - 1.272

The power supply stuff was where i needed help last time, Volts Amps and Watts confuse the hell out of me.

PSU = Antec 500w Basiq
GFX = 7900GT
mobo = Asus p5w DH deleuxe.
Hdd - seagate barracuda 320gb
CPU - E6600 default settings.

I have googled the hell out of everything to do with my card and the error reports. It seems my card is renowned for power issues, but of different sorts.

Anybody got any ideas or any advice for what i should do next before i go and by the wrong stuff? :)

Thanks for reading, Luke

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Basically on the power supply, I don't know everything there is, but you want to see the specs listed on your PSU, and then look in your bios, or get speedfan or another program that can monitor voltages, and make sure that the power supply is staying at least at those voltages or better. Plus or minus about 10% in or out of spec should be acceptable. So you should be ok there. Have you tested your hard drive for any issues?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
If you're using vista, if you right click your C: drive in my computer, and go to properties, go to tools I think, there's an error checking tool and you can have it check for bad sectors and file structure errors and try to correct them if it finds any. I don't know that it will solve your problem, but don't think it would hurt just in case. But you say the machine restarts during games and what not?

Hmm, have you checked your temperatures? By the way, speedfan can also help with that. Could be you don't have enough airflow in the case. Get a can of air that you can spray and clean your fans and heasink out with. Also maybe some more consider more fans if needed.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
sounds like you might have a corrupt .dll ???
if you are running xp?? do a reinstall right over current setup
if on the other hand you have access to a win/me boot disk/system with scandisk run it from dos duh!!:),,,and if,scandisk cannot fix,,,then do the reinstall..
ps,,get a copy of norton ghost or equvilent,,,= = lifesaver..:)g'luck..