Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Crashes When I Insert a blank CD

Last response: in Storage
April 27, 2009 2:34:27 PM

I have a new DELL Vostro 2510, running Windows XP.

The laptop has a Matshita DVD+- RW UJ-875s drive.

When I insert a blank CD in order to burn something (music, files, etc), 9 times out of 10 I get the blue screen of death.

Sometimes, and it seems most often to happen if I insert first an already burned cd and then wait for it to ask for a blank cd and then insert a blank cd, the drive works fine.

The lovely people in India and the Philippines who work for Dell have spent hours on the phone with me to no avail.

Short of sending my laptop back and losing 2 weeks of use, can anyone suggest something?
April 28, 2009 6:08:06 AM

Use TweakUI and turn off autoplay.
If you need help, read up at annoyances.org -- also a top place to download TweakUI

Some garbage may be auto-launching when a blank is inserted.

If it stops after disabling autoplay in TweakUI, then it would be a hardware issue.
June 5, 2009 10:36:07 PM

xofweber said:
I have a new DELL Vostro 2510, running Windows XP.
The laptop has a Matshita DVD+- RW UJ-875s drive .....

I have an Acer TravelMate 8200 running Windows XP with a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850S. It came pre-installed with NTI CD & DVD Maker 7 but I wanted to use Nero just to use the "No Gap Between Tracks" function and after started having the exact problem which I didnt really relate to the existence of 2 similar softwares creating a driver clash. I decided to uninstall Nero on a whim and it worked fine after that.

So this is a probable driver clash problem.

Hope this solves your problem.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
January 8, 2010 7:09:18 PM

Dear Friend,

I purchased two Dell Vostro 2510 less that a year ago with XP operating sys. One I used for my business and one I gave to my friend. The first few days suddenly my Laptop crashed without being connected to anything other that internet and “the death blue screen” appeared I though I had a virus in my system. I turned the laptop on again and system was restored.

I have a device that I use for my business which later on I connect my Laptop to it via Keyspan serial USB adapter. This is an electronic device which collect and store data remotely from electric sub-meters it is call Data Concentrator (DCC). As you said my laptop also is crashing in a random frequency. I can down load from the DCC with no problem but uploading would crash the operating system and the “death blue screen” appears. I have been talking to dell in USA and we download the new BOIC but the problem is still there. The dell technician was telling me the problem is with third party software and serial adapter. It is funny that my friend Vostro2510 crashes when a camera memory card was connected to it for downloading picture to the Laptop.

Even more strange; I have two more Laptops (Dell Latitude and Inspirion) that both run XP operating system and this problem does not occur with them working with DCC. The Dell technician totally ignored the fact that this problem is with Vostro 2510.

I hope my comment help you.

!