P5B deluxe will not post! :((((((

KR3W

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Make sure the stand off pins from the old motherboard and case are the same as your new one or you could be shorting out some components to the case. Has happened to me.

d4vinder

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Hi KR3W

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Im trying the new Mobo in the same case as the old one. It really should have been a case of a stright swap.

I will however try to take it out then put it back in, altough i did try running the mobo out of the case to eliminate any shorting problems but it just wouldnt power up unless it was sitting in the case (screwed in).

Im currently running minimal spec cpu/psu/ram/video card.

any other suggestions?

whats your system specs - psu, memory, case, hdd's, video card, etc

and dont tell me thats an old P4 3ghz, not worth spending a cent on, rubish!

d4vinder

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
CPU: Core2Duo E6850
Ram: Kingston HyperX 6400 DDR2 800MHz
PSU: OCZ GameXtreme 600W
Lian Li Case
2 Seagate Sata HDDs (currently not connected - nor is the Sata DVD)
Videocard: Matrox Quad head

i know all the components are compatible as my old board was a P5b Deluxe Wifi.. it was a bit prone to freezing, i just put it down to a dodgy refurb board, thats why i purchased this brand new one.. just cannot win!

d4vinder

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Also I've tried the 2 Ram Sticks seperately, just to eliminate any potential problems.

When i had no ram, the standard beeping for no Ram could be heard.

Somethings faulty and perhaps not your motherboard - video card? memory? psu? - you need to check them all somehow - if you have spares that will help alot ;)

on that note, sounds more video related, and being a non mainstream (aka Not from ATi or Nvidia) it may have some rare unlisted issues - i would be sus at it first.

d4vinder

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Well when i took the old Mobo out, i simply disconnected all the stuff, and inserted the new mobo and connected everything back up, the video card and ram etc.. are all running fine.

please bear in mind that the previous mobo and hardware i was using is all similar to my new set up. i have simply changed the mobo with a new replacement P5b.

Please read the first message of the problem as i have updated the sequence of events (powering up)

thanks guys.

d4vinder

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I will also try a "mainstream" graphics card.. just to eliminate this as a possible cause too.

The power-up, power-down, then power-up again is normal behavior for the P5B's on first bootup or when there is a significant BIOS change.

Have you cleared the CMOS?

The P5B-Deluxe has an 8-pin CPU power connection. If you are using a 4-pin cable, is it plugged into the correct half of the 8-pin?

Have you tried to connect your monitor to the other video-out port on the video card? Another thing to try is install the video card in the #2 PCIe slot (PCIe-x4) and see if you can get it to POST.

Also, according to the Asus website the E6850 is only supported by BIOS 1215 beta and up. The shipped BIOS is most likely a non-beta BIOS, of which the latest is 1101.

d4vinder

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
well i put the old P5B and guess what...?

it worked, booted up as usual and started complaining about new CPU, thats pretty normal... went to bios and windows started without any hiccups, now thats the way a mobo installation should be!

this board is faulty for sure, will be sending it back to Mr-eBay-Salesman.