balearic

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
I used coretemp 0.97.1 with the stock intel cooler and on Core #0 and Core #1 are both showing 62 deg celcius. So thought it was pretty high. Replaced it with Artic Freezer 7 Pro and it is still showing 62 deg both cores.

Tried Everest trial version and it shows CPU 23 Degress Celcius with CPU core #1 and #2 at 62 deg Celcius.

I havnt overclocked yet.

Freq is 3000.05Mhz (333.34 x9.0)
VID 1.125v (I guess thats the CPU voltage?)

I know the E8400 has temp issues but did anyone have a program that was more accurate to what the bios temp reads? Should I just go off the bios temperatures ? And are those even accurate with the wolfdales? I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3L Rev 2.0 motherboard.

let me know your comments . Also if anyone has my same set up, I got Crucial ballistix Tracers DDR2 800 2 gigs let me know how u overclocked it to 4.0ghz and what temperatures its at after OCing! THanks

Demonic Goldfish

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Are those idle or load temps? If they're idle it sounds really quite hot, even for load they're hot... Have you tried using RealTemp and checking your distance from the TjMax? I hear that's a more reliable reading than the direct from the sensor readings...

balearic

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
I just downloaded and tried Real temp 2.4 and it went down from the original 62, to 52 Deg Core temp, 52 deg min temp, and 52 deg max temp which is alittle better but insanely high. Distance to TJ Max is 43 43 it shows. What does that mean? Also, how do you test IDLE vs Load?
Sorry I'm a newb.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Lol, yeah. Also, did you forget to put in thermal compound? On full load, my Q6600 get 59 degrees C at 3.6ghz, 70 at 4ghz, on air cooling. E8400 has half the cores and use 45nm process compared to 65nm. It should run cool.

Sensor readings are accurate. And use Prime95 for stability and temp test.
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

balearic

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007

The first time I installed the E8400 to the mobo socket, I used the stock intel heat sink. I took off the thermal compound and replaced it with artic silver pro formula 5 thinking it would be better. Noticing that the temperature was too high I reapplied it twice, using a smaller amount and got the same 62 deg. So last resort I swapped the stock cooler for the Artic Freezer 7 Pro cooler and used its stock thermal compound it came with because I heard its good stuff. So yes I have been using the thermal compound.

And now I'm going to take my mobo out and Tripple check everything.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
What does it show in the BIOS?

What are your ambient temps. I live in a warm climate with 25-30 degree ambient temperatures. Always get higher readings than what others claim are the norms.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Of course it'll higher if ambient temperature is higher, but 62 degrees is still way too high for any climite. Does the case have good airflow? What "environmental temp" is the motherboard sensing? Open the side of the case and stick your hand in, is the air warm?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
First off... people need to know the sensors.

There are 3.

Tcase sensor is one, that is between the 2 cores. This sensor should give cooler readings, and is what the bios would display, simply because it shows a single temp reading.

The other 2, are on the cores themselves, which will be hotter. They are referred as Tjuction Sensors, or DTS (Digital Thermal Sensor).

What I'm trying to stress out here, is try not to get the temps mixed up, and understand that you need to figure out the apps you use in order to understand what it is showing you.

The Thermal Spec by Intel are the max temps for the Tcase Sensor, while the Tjuction max are what the cores max will be, like on CoreTemp.

Wealth of info:
Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide

All I can say is if your having high temps at idle, chances are if your using the push pin type of HS, one of those pins are not secure. But if your getting high temps from loads, perhaps your airflow isn't enough to cool it to your satisfaction.

yetyhunter

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I think the E8400 has 3 thermal sensors .2 For the 2 cores. The highest temperatures are core temps,inside the Cpu and the other is ambient temerature. I don't know if thats true . I own a E8400 and I get exactly the same temperatures;About 62 on load and 49-50 idle with core temp. And with everest I get 36 ,that is the third thermal sensor.

husky mctarflash

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Guys, do some google searches--many e8400s have faulty temperature sensors. Nothing wrong with the chips per se, but the sensors do not give correct readings.

If people were not so desperate to get a hold of 8400s and they were in greater supply, I suspect there would be a lot of returned chips.

There may be a fix to recalibrate the sensors--I read a rumor about one but can't confirm.

Good luck!

aretalha

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
i have the same thing here (P35-DS3L - e8400) and the system hangs up when it reaches 110 c the third sensor
and i dont know why its gone so high while stressing using orthos

aretalha

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
forget to mention that i checked the sockets they r in place and also i tried
to manual speed fan control running at full speed...nothing happend

balearic

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007

Thanks shadow for your help your always around arent you? lol...You helped me build my computer by the way in my other posts.

I reseated the processor in the mobo socket, just to make sure it was in right. Reapplied some new artic silver pro thermal compound, switched my Artic Freezer Pro fan facing the back of the case to improve air flow instead facing the front. I also made sure the push pins on the cooler were all the way in. I just Bought the 120mm side fan for the Antec 900 case and set it to High Speed. All other fans are set to Medium, top fan is set to High. And its stone cold right now i got the fan on in my room im freezing and its still showing the same 52 deg. I guess i'll just go with what the bios say because they always show 31-39 deg. Now I overclocked from 3.0mhz to 3.6mhz stable and its still showing 62 in coretemp and 52 deg in Real Temp again. I guess a sensor is off and it will never read right. Its all good though E8400 is super fast for me right now at 3.6mhz. I been trying to OC to 4.0mhz but it always freezes when I play hellgate london. But thats another issue. I have a 550 watt power supply, could that be a reason for not being ablt to overclock as high? For now 3.6mhz is a huge improvement but i'll always wonder...is it enough? lol

aretalha

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
just a Q? while ( oc`ing to 3.6 ghz)
my idle temp now:
cpu:34 core#1#2 : 50-51

case opened
stress temps:
cpu:62 core#1#2 : 79-80
is that normal ???????????????thats all

aretalha

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
i,ve just flashed my bios...
showing (on everest) ----> (37) at idle and (53) stress for cpu temp.
(case still opened and if closed temps will go up..)
bored

What is the lowest that you can set the CPU voltage to?

biohazard369

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
hey i have the same issue with my e8400 it runs around 50 idle and almost 62 when under full load . ive taken the exact same steps to check that the there is proper cooling. I'm using an asus p5e motherboard, i used three different ways to check the temperature and generally found that the bios is the closest its about 10- 15 degress celcius of and core temp is 15 -20 degress celcius of. dont use speed fan cuz thats probably the most inacurate program ive ever come across. :??: Ive touched the heat sink of the cpu and its fairly cool and theres no heat around that area that would suggest the cpu is running at 60 degrees.

Try ignoring the people who dont have a clue about this processor cuz they will only cause u headaches and miss judgment
Most of the intelligent people in this form stated that there is an issue with the chip sensors which give an inaccurate reading and thats the reason behind your delema. I am aware that these processors do run very cool probably around 30 degrees. so dont woory about overheating. they are excellent overclockers without much hassle. If u can, try to exchange it. i wasent able to exchange mine becouse the store that i bought mine at dosent think that mine is defective :heink: .

System: Asus p5e|| E8400 @4Ghz|| 4 Gb HP2 Mushkin ram|| ATi 3870 || coller master 550 watt power supply

What voltage is your CPU running at?