I woke up this morning, turned on my Gateway sx2800 03 and it is stuck in sleep

farrandbek2

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
My computer is frozen and won't boot up. What can I do to fix it? The power light, and fan are on but it won't do anything.

Gateway
Windows Vista Home Premium
SX2800-03
Intel Core 2 Quad

I saw a rating for this model that mentioned Poor Power performance. Don't know if that means PSU is under powered or what, though. I never recommend sleep/hibernate/standby mode usage. There are problems posted all over the net with not coming out of sleep mode. Setting your power options is a better solution to conserve power.

You might try holding the power button in for 15-20 seconds, release it, then try turning on. Or remove the CMOS battery and let the system reconfigure on startup.

farrandbek2

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Thank you I appreciate your insight. This may not be a sleep mode issue. I assumed it was. But as I turned my computer on yesterday morning, it wouldn't boot up. I had it turned all the way off. Not in sleep mode but that is what it is similar too. It is frozen and I can't get it to boot up. I have held the power button down. I have also removed the power cord and turned it back on. No change.

What/where is the CMOS batter? This is a desktop

Sorry for the silly questions, however, I am computer ignorant. Thank you for your help.

jjalsmelton

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010

I have a similar problem. My computer was purchased refurbished, so there have been challenges since I bought it in '08. Normally a cold boot is the cure, but that wasn't the fix last night. It's the power supply. It is getting power to the CPU so, that isn't necessarily the complete issue, but I never even realized it's a 220W until opening up the case... something I had neglected to do for quite a while. At any rate my computer is displaying the following symptoms after several hundred cold boots and removal of power cord, ensuring set to 115V and many more common troubleshooting tasks.

When I turn the power on by the button, it will blink with a white ring, then go off. The fan will run for about 3-5 seconds and stop, then it will do that again. This process will continue until the power cord is removed, it doesn't matter if you hold the power button down.

This leads me to believe it's a PSU issue, and I am researching for a small form factor (aka slimline) psu, hopefully around 400W or so. I'd also like to find a viable graphics card, as I never realized that a low profile pci-e card will easily fit in this unit, as there's tons of room specifically for the card. So I will figure out which card I want and then determine the power consumption necessary and replace the PSU.

Anyway that's my two cents about the entire situation. To answer your question though, open the case, remove the SATA and power cable from the CD Drive and Hard Drive., pull out the silver casing that holds the two. Now you have a practically unobstructed view of your motherboard. If you notice the end of one of the SATA cables is plugged into a very shiny circular disk next to your RAM slots. This is your CMOS battery, pull it out and then boot up the computer.

I'll check back in a couple of days, possibly let you know what I decided to use.