sazzadur

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Windows XP does not start in my laptop. The laptop does snot have FLOPPY drive. It has CD and USB drive. I used XP bootable CD and can go to Recovery Console. But the recovery console could not solve the problem. I used CHKDSK, FIXBOOT options but the system does not start. The USB port is active in BIOS but it does not work so that I can not copy the important documents. Even I copied the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files from CD to c:\windows. The computer does not go to safe mode or other modes. How can I start WINDOWS again without formatting the computer?

How can I start WINDOWS again without formatting the computer?

It sounds like the hard drive has failed and is inaccessable. BIOS is accessable because the data is stored on a chip on the MB, not the hard drive. Other than a virus causing the problem, disk failure would be my guess. Perhaps try using an XP installation diskand boot to it. Start the OS installation. See if the drive shows up to be formatted/used.

sazzadur

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
When I run a XP revovery console, it can access other partitions of the hard drive. When I run CHKDSK, it shows that there are some errors in the volume. When I run CHKDSK recovery, it can revover. I tried to repair the XP from the CD, it was seemed that it repaired and it showed that it successfully repaired. But when the system restarts, it has the same problem- the blank screen. Even, when I press F8, the system shows all options but if I choose any options such as 'Safe Mode' or 'Lst Known Confguration' - nothing is happended. I can not format the HDD because I have many documents in D and E partitions. I can not access USB flash drive from XP CD recovery console. What should I do? I searched the internet and Microsoft for last few days, but I could find a single solution that worked.

sazzadur

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

When I run a XP revovery console, it can access other partitions of the hard drive. When I run CHKDSK, it shows that there are some errors in the volume. When I run CHKDSK recovery, it can revover. I tried to repair the XP from the CD, it was seemed that it repaired and it showed that it successfully repaired. But when the system restarts, it has the same problem- the blank screen. Even, when I press F8, the system shows all options but if I choose any options such as 'Safe Mode' or 'Lst Known Confguration' - nothing is happended. I can not format the HDD because I have many documents in D and E partitions. I can not access USB flash drive from XP CD recovery console. What should I do? I searched the internet and Microsoft for last few days, but I could find a single solution that worked.

Boot into the BIOS, and verify that the hard drive is the first boot device.

If it is, boot back into the recovery console. At the command line type bootcfg /rebuild <--this will rebuild your boot.ini file.

I'd suggest using fixmbr to repair your master boot record, but that can potentially take out partitions. Use this command at your own risk.