CPU running very close to 100% on one process 'World Of Warcraft"

Boogdieb

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Just to give you some filler info, im using a Dell Dimension E521 w/ 3.5gb ram 320gb HD, ATI HD 4850, AMD Athlon 64 3200+, w/Windows XP MC "Computer had Vista on it but whoever I got it from used went back to XP". The problem im having is when I open WOW my cpu usage shoots up to the high 80% to mid 90%. Also it seems that WOW itself is taking all this cpu Its over 600,000k of the memory in the processes and about 87 to 93 in the cpu. I have restored windows re installed the game, flashed bio's and updated drivers and it still is doing this what else should I look into.

please help me this is very noticeable in my in game performance.

Thank you.
Brandon

br3nd064

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I don't know how much ram WOW is supposed to use, but the cpu usage sounds about right. It's very high because it's being bottlenecked by your video card.

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Something else is at issue here. Your normal play in WOW should not take 90+ of CPU time and your VC is more than adequate for that game. XP will play WOW just fine and requires less of your CPU than does Vista. Are there perhaps other programs running in the background? Try googleing for the different processes you are running. Take a look at msconfig and turn off anything not needed. Since you have been using both vista and XP do a fresh complete install of which ever one you want. The game might hit 100% in the big battle sequences but only for moments at a time. If you are seeing 100% loading running any program then something is not properly configured. That cpu is a little long in the tooth. Will that mb support a upgraded cpu? Your VC is the least of your problems as it is one of the best one can buy at the moment. What is the scoket type for that cpu? Is this your cpu http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=723 ? This one is an AM2 socket. Or is it a 939 type? Here are the system requirments for WOW - http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html

Boogdieb

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
I did a fresh xp install last night and this is still happening, the major problem is that the usage spikes and causes the game to chop. Also yes that is my cpu it is an AM2 socket. Also there are not many app's running in the background and wow is what's taking the usage not any other program. Would a new cpu fix this problem?

Usage.jpg

processes.jpg

I'm not seeing a problem here. Sounds like what I would expect with that older CPU.

Also, to take advantage of your video card, you need a faster CPU. Your CPU is slowing down that 4850 video card. Not like that matters in WoW

pat

Expert
Hummm. when the system requirments for WOW shows an xp1500+ as CPU, the a64 3200+ is way faster so I don't think that the CPU is not sufficient.

I woyuld check the swap file size and check the memory if it don't cause any error that would make the CPU playing hard with the swap file.

If you can try it with only 2 gigs of ram, I would do it just to see.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Since nobody else decided to google it, here's the minimum system specs:

# Intel Pentium® III 800 MHz or AMD Athlon 800 MHz
# 512 MB or more of RAM

and here's the recommended specs:

# Intel Pentium® IV 1.5 GHz or AMD XP 1500+ MHz
# 1024 MB RAM

So his setup is more than enough. Agreed that the processor is limiting the card. Too bad that it's a Dell, but if you feel comfortable swapping the processor, here's a relatively inexpensive solution that will make your video card have a purpose:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103272

It still doesn't explain why your computer is experiencing that bad a slowdown. I personally think you'd be best served taking your video card and RAM and buying parts for a system which would probably cost $300 or so in total. The reason is because if you want to do any substantial upgrades to fix your system, it'll be a complete waste.

I'd make sure to find out what is wrong before upgrading or throwing anything away, though.

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Kamkal good post +1

From the link.

High CPU Utilization while tabbed out
In-game type the following 2 commands, hitting enter after each one.
/console maxfps 0
/console maxfpsbk 0

.......and nothing wrong with a newer faster cpu.

Boogdieb

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Will my board handle that cpu? I know it's the right socket. But is it too much wattage? Think mine is 65w now.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
before going out and spending any money, i would try a different game, and see if that game runs properly

lets you know if your hardware is working correctly

even running 3dmark06 will give you an idea of whether hardware is working within spec (by comparing your score to similar systems)

if other games work properly, then it's obviously not your hardware and there is something wrong with WOW.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
The CPU I recommended is the 65nm revision.

All you'd need to get is a case (CM Centurion), a 450w PSU, and a mobo, and you'd have an upgradeable computer (with AM2/AM2+ board even) up and running. And you can do it for about $300. Manufactured PCs like Dells are usually not worth the trouble of upgrading. I shudder to think what your motherboard might be, and I'm afraid to go check.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
download 3dmark06 from http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark06/download/

then run that and use the results browser to compare your score to other systems that are similar to yours, if the scores are close then your hardware is fine and there is a bug in the game that wont be fixed by changing the cpu

best bet would be to go to wow forums and check out the threads regarding the new 3.02 patch and how to fix the cpu usage issue

Boogdieb

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Ha, all I know about my mobo is that it has the Nforce 450 chipset on it and I think that dell made the board itself.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Usually manufacturers do not make the mobos themselves. More often than not they take a mobo brand they get at volume discount and rebrand it with their own model number, as HP does with crappy ASUS boards.

PS - good advice from kamkal. As badly unbalanced as your system is, it's best to research rather than to jump the gun and try to upgrade. That decision should be separate from this issue.

Boogdieb

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
I found this interesting review on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103234 cpu I was lookin at.

Very Happy

white Reviewed By: hard2say on 10/27/2008
Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5
Tech Level Tech Level: somewhat high - Ownership: 1 day to 1 week

Pros: I upgraded my old P4 3.2Ghz on an ASUS P5WD2 Premium with this guy. Found it and and ECS 7050M-M at Fr*s for $89.99. I use this PC strictly for World of Warcraft. The game was definately playable on my old rig, but I have to say WoW, was I missing out. With my ASUS HD 3870 512MB, 2GB (2 x 1GB) Corsair 6400 and my new processor & motherboard I am cranking full settings at 1366 x 768 (Vizio 32" HDTV) without a hitch. I don't do much PC gaming with the exception of MMORPGs and this setup really does it for me. Not a single problem thus far.
Cons: None so far.
Other Thoughts: The deal I got on this processor did not include a HSF, so I picked up a Thermaltake and it's running cool and quiet.

This sounds very much like what I use my comp for. Also he says he plays on a Vizio 32" HDTV so do I.

Boogdieb

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
I am running 3dmark06 on my desktop right now and wow the cpu test looks like a slide show that mean it's a cpu issue prob causing my problems?

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007

well once you make sure your box is working within spec then yea i would definitely look at gettin a CPU upgrade, you will see a big diff between single and dual core

i would spend a few extra bucks and get this instead, this comes with the heatsink and fan as well
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103233

it's 3ghz but with 2x1MB cache which means it will run well in those super big raids or whatever where lotta sh!t is goin on at once

your gfx card is more than adequate for your resolution and once you get wow sorted out, would def get a cpu upgrade

TRENDING THREADS