ASUS EAH3850 Trinity - three GPUs with one card

Kari

Splendid
The people at asus have gone completely mad and created this freaking monster :pt1cable:

We knew that CrossFireX would bring new multi-GPU setups, but we did not expect anyone to actually use more than two cores with a single card. ASUS proved us wrong, as EAH3850 Trinity is a tri-core card. It has three RV670 cores cooled by a heatpipe construction and a water block, all in a single card. The card is still just a concept and it hasn't been decided when or if it will be released, however we do know that it works. When benchmarks with the card will surface remains to be seen, but keep an eye open the upcoming weeks.
rest of the story and pics can be found at
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7543.html

the card seems to be quite thick with those daughter cards at the back, tri-slot perhaps :heink:

Kari

Splendid
I'm thinking it is just an engineering study, maybe some sort of proof of concept for the coming HD4000 series multicore cards (for some subsystems, drivers or something). I would be amazed if they would actually start selling those things...

I think the concept of having a MAIN Graphics board and smaller daughter boards with GPU&Mem on them is a neat idea if you can market it and make it cost effective for the consumer.

Just think. a 3870 main graphics board but 3 slots for additional mini cards. OR a 8800GTS with the same. $200 for the main card and $150 for each little mini card.

I should patent that idea and then sue everyone who infringes on my intellectual copyright like Gibson is doing with Guitar Hero & Rock Band.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
no way....

it just might stand a chance against the 9800gx2, although since there is no price it's hard to tell, it would be cool, just to see ati take back the top-end performance crown, by a freak of nature such as this, even if its done by ASUS... :lol: [:kentuckyranger:1] :lol:

random1283

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
Well since the 3850 and 3870 are the same chip i'm thinking asus has realeased this a Teaser to a TRI-3870 model which will definately beat out the 9800GX2 and reclaim the crown.