R-E-S-P-E-C, tell me what it means to me...

Last response: in Video Games
July 14, 2005 11:06:06 AM

So when Glory hit 30 I didn't have any good choices in powers, took
Whirlwind. Gawd, what a waste. Also noticed I wasn't using about half the
powers I'd chosen earlier.

So it's burn the free respec time. Went from (memory):

Power Thrust, Energy Punch, Bone Smasher, Build Up, Conserve Power, Stun
Lighting Bolt, Short Circuit, Zapp, Tesla Cage, Voltaic Sentinel
Hasten, Super Speed, Whirlwind
Hurdle, Health, Stamina

Power Thrust, Energy Punch, Bone Smasher, Build Up, Conserve Power
Lighting Bolt, Zapp
Hasten, Super Speed
Hurdle, Health, Stamina
Air Superiority, Fly
Stealth, Invisibility, Phase Shift

and reslotted, natch.

Nice.

One problem: I was pounding some DE and got overwhelmed, so I hit Phase
Shift. Completed the shift and was moving away, but still taking
damage... down. If you're targeted before PS, can foes still hit you? I'm
*pretty* sure I was shifted before the attacks that downed me were even
started. Pissed me off, tellya. Glory just seems bound to carry two
bubbles of debt forever.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M

More about : means

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 11:06:07 AM

Shenanigunner wrote:
> So when Glory hit 30 I didn't have any good choices in powers, took
> Whirlwind. Gawd, what a waste. Also noticed I wasn't using about half the
> powers I'd chosen earlier.
>
> So it's burn the free respec time. Went from (memory):
>
> Power Thrust, Energy Punch, Bone Smasher, Build Up, Conserve Power, Stun
> Lighting Bolt, Short Circuit, Zapp, Tesla Cage, Voltaic Sentinel
> Hasten, Super Speed, Whirlwind
> Hurdle, Health, Stamina

> Power Thrust, Energy Punch, Bone Smasher, Build Up, Conserve Power
> Lighting Bolt, Zapp
> Hasten, Super Speed
> Hurdle, Health, Stamina
> Air Superiority, Fly
> Stealth, Invisibility, Phase Shift

Stop... Blapper time!

> and reslotted, natch.
>
> Nice.

I'm sad to see Short Cicuit get the shaft. Isn't that power the whole
key to safe-ish Blapping? Actually, it looks like you only have two
powers from your primary. Those Energy Melee attacks must kick some
butt, though.

> One problem: I was pounding some DE and got overwhelmed, so I hit Phase
> Shift. Completed the shift and was moving away, but still taking
> damage... down. If you're targeted before PS, can foes still hit you?

Any DoTs that landed before the PS animation finished would continue to
harm you even after. I know 'cause I used that property to take out
annoying Ancestor Spirits. Finally, Phase Shift's animation time is
long enough to get you killed.

> I'm
> *pretty* sure I was shifted before the attacks that downed me were even
> started. Pissed me off, tellya. Glory just seems bound to carry two
> bubbles of debt forever.

I wonder if Swarms still damage you. I'm pretty sure it's the former
explanation, though.

--
34Ard
Anonymous

"34Ard" <cerutti@trans-video.net> wrote in

> Any DoTs that landed before the PS animation finished would continue
> to harm you even after. I know 'cause I used that property to take
> out annoying Ancestor Spirits. Finally, Phase Shift's animation time
> is long enough to get you killed.
>
>> I'm
>> *pretty* sure I was shifted before the attacks that downed me were
>> even started. Pissed me off, tellya. Glory just seems bound to carry
>> two bubbles of debt forever.
>
> I wonder if Swarms still damage you. I'm pretty sure it's the former
> explanation, though.

DoT, especially poisons, still get you while phased if attacked before
being phased.

Swarms DoT will also still get you for some buggy reason, until they go
away and the DoT stops.

I like phasing, then going to the Hive and flying through the swarms, as
they will continue to follow you....until you run into a friend who can
aggro them better :)
July 14, 2005 10:28:29 PM

"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in message
> So when Glory hit 30 I didn't have any good choices in powers, took
> Whirlwind. Gawd, what a waste. Also noticed I wasn't using about half the
> powers I'd chosen earlier.

Interesting. Vorlonagent hit 30 last night too. He has the same build as
Glory (lightning/energy blaster)

Not bragging (really, I'm not) but I came to most of the same realizations
you did when VA went through his big switchover at level 22 using the free
christmas respec. His movement though his 20s was a saga of tranformation
from a character wieghed down by ineffective powers, behind the curve with
his enhancments and burning through end like nobody's business. When he hit
28, he was optimized, lean, mean.

> Power Thrust, Energy Punch, Bone Smasher, Build Up, Conserve Power
> Lighting Bolt, Zapp
> Hasten, Super Speed
> Hurdle, Health, Stamina
> Air Superiority, Fly
> Stealth, Invisibility, Phase Shift
>
> and reslotted, natch.

Power Thrust, Bone Smasher, Build Up, Conserve Power
Charged Bolts, Lightning Bolt, Aim, Zapp, Tesla Cage, Voltaic Sentinel
Hasten, Super-Speed
Swift, Health, Stamina
Hover, Fly

I'm curious why you never bothered with Charged Bolts.

And I was wondering what to devote my last Secondary pool to and Concealment
is defintely on the list. As is Medicine and maybe Leadership.

Just from a comparing notes perscpective, what tactics does Glory use?

> One problem: I was pounding some DE and got overwhelmed, so I hit Phase
> Shift. Completed the shift and was moving away, but still taking
> damage... down. If you're targeted before PS, can foes still hit you? I'm
> *pretty* sure I was shifted before the attacks that downed me were even
> started. Pissed me off, tellya. Glory just seems bound to carry two
> bubbles of debt forever.

I hear you. Though debt-free at the moment, it can change annoyingly easy.

I stumbled into a nest of Freakshow in a building last night and almost
didn't get away. Having the initiative makes a huge difference.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 30 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 25 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
Steel Night (M), Level 18 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 16 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 11:16:25 PM

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
> I'm curious why you never bothered with Charged Bolts.

Seemed wussy WRT Lightning Bolt.

> Just from a comparing notes perscpective, what tactics does Glory use?

Buildup+Zapp+Lighting Bolt on the boss(let), LB plus the melee attacks on
the rest, dancing around and zipping in and out of contact range. I can
take out a yellow Lt or orange minion with BU+Zapp, finishing with LB if
necessary, and Bone Smasher plus Power Thrust will do the same to a
second. I can keep up that combination almost indefinitely, although I do
need to dance out of range to use Zapp after the initial snipe.

I've really never developed good ranged-power tactics. I use the ranged
stuff to snipe and pick off bosses, but still wade in, scranker style,
more than a squishy should.

Haven't worked out the flight and stealth tactics yet - both new with the
respec and not completely ironed out.

> I hear you. Though debt-free at the moment, it can change annoyingly
> easy.

I've been playing carefully - and now I have contacts lining up to give
me missions again - and it's the freak events that get me. Last night's
defeat was a misunderstanding of Phase Shift's activation, which I won't
make again.

> I stumbled into a nest of Freakshow in a building last night and
> almost didn't get away. Having the initiative makes a huge
> difference.

Ooh, yea. Slithering around in stealth mode and being able to position
for the best boss-blast to start an attack is very nice.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 30 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
-= RorShok: Level 19 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
-= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
-= Justice Server =-
-= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:32:30 AM

> "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
>> I'm curious why you never bothered with Charged Bolts.
>
> Seemed wussy WRT Lightning Bolt.

I guess so. I have a tendency to not *EVER* voluntarily close with my
opponent, so I treat Bone Smasher and Power Thrust as backup attacks to use
gainst those who close with me.

>> Just from a comparing notes perscpective, what tactics does Glory use?
>
> Buildup+Zapp+Lighting Bolt on the boss(let), LB plus the melee attacks on
> the rest, dancing around and zipping in and out of contact range. I can
> take out a yellow Lt or orange minion with BU+Zapp, finishing with LB if
> necessary, and Bone Smasher plus Power Thrust will do the same to a
> second. I can keep up that combination almost indefinitely, although I do
> need to dance out of range to use Zapp after the initial snipe.

I could probaby do better footwork than I do, but my opening move is very
similar.

BU + Aim + Zapp. Drops all but the bossiest yellows. It will drop whites
unaided by BU about half the tie. LB will often drop a white Freakshow or
Family following the Zapp. If not, a Charged Bolt will still have enough
zip to it to finish the job. I will usually follow up with either a Tesla
or drop a Voltaic Sentinel in the midst of my enemies. Having that second
damage stream going can be really nice. I've had Freaks Tesla VA and
watched the Sentinel finish the bad guys while I'm waiting to get out. Like
some other heroes, I've built up a backlog of CoBs I don't use.

> I've really never developed good ranged-power tactics. I use the ranged
> stuff to snipe and pick off bosses, but still wade in, scranker style,
> more than a squishy should.

More than I would... :)

I'll still dance in, Bone-Smash and dance out again. In the Real Old Days,
VA would throw a Ball Ligntining and dance in and throw a Short Circuit.

> Haven't worked out the flight and stealth tactics yet - both new with the
> respec and not completely ironed out.

I just got super-speed. I haven't integrated it either, but boy did I love
it at one point last night. I got a mission that, like a lot of my missions
lately, has the first run of bad guys present but invisible and untargetable
by me. In the past, trying to solo the mission would simply produce damage
on my character from nowhere. I've found that teaming with even one player
makes everyone visible. This time, I used super-speed to get past the
invisible bad guys and found enemies I could see and fight. Then hit that
nest of Freakshow and retreated outside to heal. When I came back in all
those invisible guys at the start were now visible. It was cool.

When I'm on a solo jag, I don't want to have to call someone up just so the
mission rearranges and all the invisible guys are visible again. This once
at least, I didn't have to. Makes me wonder what that bug is about to begin
with.

>> I hear you. Though debt-free at the moment, it can change annoyingly
>> easy.
>
> I've been playing carefully - and now I have contacts lining up to give
> me missions again - and it's the freak events that get me. Last night's
> defeat was a misunderstanding of Phase Shift's activation, which I won't
> make again.

I sometimes don't run when my instincts say I should. Flying makes a
strategic retreat pretty quick and easy.

>> I stumbled into a nest of Freakshow in a building last night and
>> almost didn't get away. Having the initiative makes a huge
>> difference.
>
> Ooh, yea. Slithering around in stealth mode and being able to position
> for the best boss-blast to start an attack is very nice.

You're selling me real fast on concealment as my final secondary :)

I wish I could justtake stealth and then push on to medicine...

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 30 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 25 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
Steel Night (M), Level 18 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 16 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:21:11 AM

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
> BU + Aim + Zapp.

Zapp already has an acc bonus, and with one SO Acc in each attack, I miss
very rarely. Didn't see the need for Aim.

> I just got super-speed. I haven't integrated it either, but boy did I
> love it at one point last night.

I love SS - it was Glory's original travel power, and I was glad I could
tack it on at the end of my respec and keep it. The semi-stealth is a
very nice side effect, and I can live with the speed drop during attacks.
>> Ooh, yea. Slithering around in stealth mode and being able to
>> position for the best boss-blast to start an attack is very nice.

> You're selling me real fast on concealment as my final secondary :)

That's why I always liked SS. Very good stealth as long as you didn't get
too close to anyone or stay close, and for freeeeee.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 30 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
-= RorShok: Level 19 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
-= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
-= Justice Server =-
-= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 11:57:56 AM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:21:11 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> scribed into the ether:

>"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
>> BU + Aim + Zapp.
>
>Zapp already has an acc bonus, and with one SO Acc in each attack, I miss
>very rarely. Didn't see the need for Aim.

Aim has a damage bonus. Opposite of Build Up. They both give a 100%
increase and a 60% increase...they just have different areas of focus.
Combining the two is +160% to accuracy (major overkill), and damage (which
combined with SOs will cap Blaster damage).

A good combination is Aim/Buildup/32 Attack power, which you can put a
couple of recharges into (while still capping damage) and ignore accuracy
entirely because you would only use it with Aim/BuildUp.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 8:22:54 PM

> "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
>> BU + Aim + Zapp.
>
> Zapp already has an acc bonus, and with one SO Acc in each attack, I miss
> very rarely. Didn't see the need for Aim.

My Zapp is slotted exclusively with damage SOs (4). Aim also gives a damage
kick. I suppose it isn't really necessary just for Zapp, but for the
followup powers. I get about three shots out of Aim + BU and they hit +100%
harder and with +100% accurately before going back to mortality before BU
and Aim run out.

That said, I may go back to just Build Up one of these days. I'm not really
sure what direction to take the charcter next. If I need to respec a power
out of the character, it's on the table.

Will Glory be taking Thunderous Blast? I always assumed I would but I'm
having second thoughts. Looking the power over, it's best used as an
opening move where it can trash as many bad guys as possible but it drains
all end and stops end recovery, making it a "kill or cure" opening move. I
guess it's best for squishing large amounts of small opponents or
hit-and-run strikes...

It will be interesting to see the Electric Ancillary Pool because none of
the existing Ancillaries really grabbed me or felt right for the character.
The Force Pool was the closest but I didn't really want either Personal
Force Field or Repulsion Field, but would need one of them to get at the
powers I might actually want. i hate the idea of burning a power slot on
somthing I never intend to use.

>> I just got super-speed. I haven't integrated it either, but boy did I
>> love it at one point last night.
>
> I love SS - it was Glory's original travel power, and I was glad I could
> tack it on at the end of my respec and keep it. The semi-stealth is a
> very nice side effect, and I can live with the speed drop during attacks.
>>> Ooh, yea. Slithering around in stealth mode and being able to
>>> position for the best boss-blast to start an attack is very nice.
>
>> You're selling me real fast on concealment as my final secondary :)
>
> That's why I always liked SS. Very good stealth as long as you didn't get
> too close to anyone or stay close, and for freeeeee.

I have gotten to like it...and it's still unslotted. I got flight because
it fit character conception. Some characters should just fly. But I can
see why people don't like it. I'm deciding whether to add stealth on top of
SS because the character still has one secondary pool unassigned.

I may respec this character a few times in his 30's as I try stuff and it
doesn't work. Heck I still have the Issue 4 Respec.

--

!