Lost wireless

Monsieurleprof

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
When we switched from Comcast to Century Link, my wife lost her wireless reception on her old HP Pavillion. The Century link techie tried everything, but couldn't make it work. He thought it might be a program on the laptop that is not allowing it to install. I tried HP, but I was still waiting after ten minutes, so I hung up.

Any ideas? Do I need to download a new wireless driver?

Monsieurleprof

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

Yes, the network shows up on the laptop. And it works when hard-wired.
No we haven't changed the security settings at all.
No, we are using a brand new Qwest Q1000Z.

I'm computer illiterate, so I'm virtually useless about configurations.

OK, so wifi is on the laptop, what happens when you try to connect to your wireless network? If you are using a new wifi router, you need to go into it's config page and setup your network, create the ID name, security password, etc..

Monsieurleprof

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I actually went to Qwest and went through the setup (several times), but it wouldn't work. He said that I would have to call HP because (he thought) there might be a program that was not allowing it to work.

What happens when you try to connect to the wireless network? Are you saying the setup of the wireless did not take or that the laptop can't connect? What exactly happens when you try to connect? Have you tried different security settings?