Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
  • Partition
  • FAT32
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 28, 2009 12:40:02 AM

So I have been reading about partitioning my drive so that Windows XP is on partition C:/ of about 16GB, then a FAT32 partition of 4,096MB, and the rest for my files and data. I realize this is because the outer cycles are faster, but what guarantee is it that the first partition made is the outer cycle?? In a partition editor, is the left most partition in the "layout" shown, the outer rim? I googled around and didn't find a decent answer.

Also, is it the Windows partition or the temp/page file partition that we want to maximize speed on?? If the FAT32 partition is the one needed to be faster, is it possible to have that one on the outer rim? or does Windows have to be installed on the first primary partition?? Thanks!

More about : partitioning outer versus cycles disk

a c 127 G Storage
April 28, 2009 1:18:19 AM

The start of the harddrive's capacity (sector 0) is located on the outer ring of the platter discs, so you can use C for the fastest performance, and the last partition as large data partition storing bulk data where its mostly accessed sequentially and speed is of lesser concern.

What makes you think FAT32 is faster than NTFS? FAT32 knows many limitations and is generally considered outdated. You should only use it for compatibility reasons.
April 28, 2009 2:52:46 AM

Quote:
What makes you think FAT32 is faster than NTFS?

JackNaylorPE said in his post on here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244654-32-hard-drive-...

that FAT32 worked faster than NTFS in the application for page files and temp stuff. That's where I got the FAT32 part.

So to clarify my original question: Inside of a partition editing program, where it shows the partitions in a wide rectangle, the order from left most to right most goes from sector 0 to sector xxxxx??? Im just trying to make sense of how to know if a partition is actually on the outer ring or not. Thanks!
a c 127 G Storage
April 28, 2009 1:11:14 PM

If your computer is swapping because it has too few RAM memory, your computer is going to be very very slow, no matter if that FAT32 manages to get 1 or 2% faster than NTFS, although really i'm not convinced of FAT32 being the better choice. Its an ancient filesystem with no protection (journaling) at all. And you don't want to swap so why concentrate on your swapfile? You only have 128MB of memory and a very old system? No? Then you don't need swap in the first place. PCs with enough memory will not actually use the swap. So putting the pagefile on a special partition etc, is just work for nothing.

And if you computer is swapping, its going to be extremely slow (pre Pentium 1-age response times) no matter what HDD you pick. So if your computer swaps alot, you've got too few memory.

About your question: yes the left part of that 'rectangle' is the beginning of the storage medium and it begins on the outer edges of the platter disks. So the left part of that rectangle you see is the fastest part.