Win7 Mouse issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on fixing a relatives laptop with a number of issues, which i'm thinking are related.

The trackpad does not work, device manager shows yellow triangle and a code 39 driver error

Using a usb mouse has exactly the same problem (tried two others)

When booting normally I hit an error where C++ runtime has exited unexpectedly (no other details at all), over and over again, normally have to hold power to turn off.

When booting to safe mode I still get no mouse function but can use MSconfig to do a diagnostic boot, with 99% of services and startups disabled it will boot

When booting into daignostic mode, trackpad and mouse still fail, all else are ok.

When booting into a mode with synaptics stuff disabled in msconfig it will give the c++ error once and then boot (i've done this once, not been able to repeat it yet), but with no trackpad, so I think that the code 39 error on the tpad driver is the cause of the c++ error, but it appears to be at a lower level than that given that the usb mice also don't work. So how do I get lower/more generic than driver level, as its wider than a particular driver issue.

The c++ error I believe to be a symptom of something else, and not an error in c++ installation itself, as its an unexpected event has caused c++ runtime to exit unexpectedly.

If nothing is forthcoming I'll have to get the data off it and rebuild it I think.

Edit, its running vista, full edit won't let me change things

Solution
Boot to a Linux boot CD, does the mouse work then? If yes, it's not the hardware. You can try to do a Repair setup of Vista, that would leave the programs installed alone.
Status
Not open for further replies.