8800 gt alpha dog help

gman123

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
i got this card put it in and the graphics are great but on call of duty 4, gears of war, whenever big things happen at once it slows up bad. also on nascar 2003 when i get in a big group of cars it does the same thing. what could it be??

Ditto, we need alot more info.

You are telling us what is happening, but not what you are working with. It's like going to the doctor and saying you have big green poopie, but not telling him what you ate for breakfast. The issue might be green eggs and ham, but who knows for sure.

crusoe74

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007

Your CPU is holding you back.

My buddy has an e6850 and can't get it over 4GHZ on a small liquid cooler. He always tells me he wishes he would have waited till the e8400's came back into stock. They get up over 4GHz with EASE. As far as the Q6600, come on man don't be buying old tech with a 1066 bus. If you go quad opt for a Q9450.

Oh, I already have the Quad on a P35 board and I would be looking to replace that with the 9450 as that machine is the one I use for video encoding. The 6850 is sitting on my shelf unused but it belongs to my friend who has told me to use it instead of the Quad or suffer a painful and violently brutal death, however only Easter Sunday he's talking about Sli'ng a pair of 9600's very soon as the GTS 320 has been sold off. So one way or another I'm going to have to get a CPU but the 8400's are still out of stock and the 9xxx's have yet to appear at my fav convenience store.

^
|
Well if that is the case I'd wait for the 9450 for your encoder and move the q6600 over to your gamer. Waste not want not. That or leave the q6600 in there and get an e8400 for the gamer. Pick your poison.

[:mousemonkey:2] I reckon it's going to be about a £50 ($100) difference between the Q9450 and the 8400, when they become available, and as I still don't think that quads bring that much benefit to games in general I'm leaning more to the 8400 at the moment. Although the 6850 may still be pressed into service, if only for short time.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

just to keep things in perspective,,:)?? i have an asus a8n-sli se,/8800gt[asus],,amd athlonx64 oc'd to 23xx,it's a 40xx something,,and i play cod4,crysis,frontlines,,,all without no trouble at all,my ram is 1g,2x512 ocz 3500,and xp pro...)
the asus is the same as the alpha dog not oc'd,,,,,..

Do you use Rivatuner or something similar to monitor CPU usage whilst you are gaming?, and what kind of performance do you get when you run the CPU at default clocks?

@jay2tallThe E8400 is at the top of my list at the moment as the price of an OEM Q9300 is £169, and I've been asked to build a rig for music recording/editing so I might be able to offload the Q6600 in that if I can 'persuade' the guy to part with enough cash.

I always like doing that. Sell old stuff to someone who wants a cheap upgrade so you can get somethin cooler.