Simple, quick 9800GX2 FAQ's

alabama619

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
I have a few questions, of which the answers seem to be scattered around different sites and vary site-to-site, so how about we just get a list together, in 1 place, simply with all the facts and requirements to help me and alot of other people in need of info.

1. What voltage PSU do I need? I think I have a 580W

2. What 2 cards are attached together to make this card?

3. What connectors do I need to connect it to the PSU etc? I have an 8800GT at the moment so does that mean I have all the required plugs?

4. How big is this card? Ive heard its 11 inches long. Is that correct?

So yeah, just answer them simply so they are easier to see and read. Just like, 1. 600W 2. 8800GT's 3. 6 Pin

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
1. No simple answer, it depends on the quality of the PSU.

2. It is comprised of two 128SP G92 chips. This is the chip that is used in the 512MB 8800GTS.

3. The 9800GX2 needs one 6 pin PCIe connector and one 8 pin PCIe connector. The 8800GT only requires one 6 pin PCIe connector.

4. I don't know.

A fun read http://www.legitreviews.com/article/681/1/

alabama619

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

Thanks Homerdog :D Surely there is a minimum requirement though? Like the 8800GT I think needs 450W and 24Amps on the 12V rail. I dont actually have that many volts on that rail but it works anyway :) Weird that you need TWO connectors. Ah well

By the way, I'm not interested in Quad SLI if that changes anything.

Alot of psu makers makes claim of so many watts and amps on the 12 volt rail, but in reality, the cheap ones just dont deliver, so, the card makers (both ATI and nVidia) call for a higher than truly needed amperage for their cards, just to cover the crappy psus with their crap claims

Read the piece, it looks like you get about 50% more ability for about 50% more cost. What surprised me was the " but our two store-bought DVD versions of Bioshock say they have been installed too many times, so this game was a last minute addition. If you were wondering where BioShock wasn't included you can thank the idiotic DRM they use, which limits you to five installs (SecuROM, please respond to our emails)" in the article. So now, if we reformat too many times, certain games wont work anymore? Good ol DRM, whered we be without it