Sign in with
Your question

GTX 260 216 core OC'ed to 700mhz need help.

Last response: in Overclocking
November 2, 2008 12:33:15 PM

The card is a EVGA GTX 260 216 core

stock:

core - 575
shader- 1242
memory-999

I overclocked it to"

core - 700
shader- 1430
memory- 1200

If i go one more on shader it gives me artifacts right away. I feel like i should me able to go more but its not happening. I used the EVGA tool to do the OCing and a bunch of others to check stability.

anyone have any help or suggestions as to how i can get it higher? Or should i just leave it where i have it now?
November 2, 2008 12:52:00 PM

R u nuts?
You overclocked THAT much and are NOT happy?

You should be thankful that a 125MHZ OC on the core clock is stable.

I usually DONT overclock since the gains are close to insignificant (i.e. 9% or less is insignificant).

Anyway, if you want advice I can tell you this:
1. to overclock MORE, you may want to go easy on the shader.
2. make sure your case has a positive air pressure (NOT POSITIVE AIR FLOW, PRESSURE)...when a case has more fans pumping air in then out, the extra air will create a positive pressure, forcing heat out of heatsyncs and eventually out of the case. REMEMBER, POSITIVE AIR PRESSURE...if you dont believe me try it yourself.
3. run several games and perhaps 3dmark to see the performance gains with the OC and ask yourself if it is worth it.
4. good luck!
November 2, 2008 5:47:25 PM

I think my system is running great, I have a cm 690 case. I added a few fans. The GPU temp never goes a single degree above 60c and it idles in the low 40s.

Before OC i wasnt able to play crysis warhead on the HIGHEST settings, but after OC its all smooth and playable, no slowdowns. I dont know what frames i have now or before but since i notice a difference while playing i think it is worth it.

Buy you have made a good point. I already did OC it very high so I will leave it as it is.
November 2, 2008 6:20:51 PM

My non-216 GTX 260 would hit 700/1500/1250, and was stable in everything except Warhead. Now I leave it at 690/1480/1250. I completely disregard ATI Tool artifacts, if that's what you use, since it artifacts way easier than any game. You could try backing the core down a tad and see if that let's you raise the shaders any higher, and you should have a little extra room on the memory even if it's trivial.

Many GPUs can obtain around a 20% overclock, and when we're talking minimum frames at maximum image quality, that bump can be the difference between often irritated and always happy. 28fps is much better than 23.
!