Sign in with
Your question

Can't go two days without restart

Last response: in Windows XP
July 30, 2010 1:39:07 AM

Hello,
After about a day of use my laptop's sound will no longer work, YouTube videos will no longer work(they skip to the very end, or how far the video's loaded), and media players will no longer work(I'll play a song in iTunes and nothing happens, the bar showing the progression of the song stays still, not giving the audio a chance to play). As so as I reboot my system it will work again for about a day, then do the same thing. What's up?

More about : days restart

a b D Laptop
July 30, 2010 1:55:59 PM

Well, if you keep bumping it no wonder you're having problems.

More seriously, you "bumped" 5 minutes after your original post which makes you sound a little like a spoilt, petulant kid.
m
l
Related resources
July 30, 2010 4:55:35 PM

Ijack said:
Well, if you keep bumping it no wonder you're having problems.

More seriously, you "bumped" 5 minutes after your original post which makes you sound a little like a spoilt, petulant kid.

They were 24 hours and 5 minutes apart...
m
l
July 30, 2010 4:59:41 PM

You could try going to the laptop manufacturers website and re-download the drivers. (the audio driver might be contained in the motherboard driver set). But from my experience this did not solve my problem (but its always worth a shot).

Anyway, the issue might be that your audio device (not driver/software issue, but the physical device itself) could be going bad. I once had this problem until my audio device COMPLETELY quit working. I ended up getting a USB audio device (no room between graphics cards for audio card :(  bummer). Seeing as you have a laptop, i would probably venture to guess that your audio output is from your motherboard. I dont know how old it is, but if its still under warranty, call them on it.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 30, 2010 5:42:01 PM

lazyperson17 said:
They were 24 hours and 5 minutes apart...

Actually 12 hours and 5 minutes (yes - I missed the a.m./ p.m.) It still seems a bit premature to bump posts - don't you give it a few days to see if you get any answers?
m
l
July 30, 2010 5:47:40 PM

Ijack said:
Actually 12 hours and 5 minutes (yes - I missed the a.m./ p.m.) It still seems a bit premature to bump posts - don't you give it a few days to see if you get any answers?

Touche' on the AM/PM catch :p . Between the 2 of us we will narrow that sucker down to the second haha.

As for bumping a thread, id say 24 hours at minimum.
m
l
July 31, 2010 2:31:48 AM

lazyperson17 said:
You could try going to the laptop manufacturers website and re-download the drivers. (the audio driver might be contained in the motherboard driver set). But from my experience this did not solve my problem (but its always worth a shot).

Anyway, the issue might be that your audio device (not driver/software issue, but the physical device itself) could be going bad. I once had this problem until my audio device COMPLETELY quit working. I ended up getting a USB audio device (no room between graphics cards for audio card :(  bummer). Seeing as you have a laptop, i would probably venture to guess that your audio output is from your motherboard. I dont know how old it is, but if its still under warranty, call them on it.

You think it could be directly an audio issue even though I get other problems, such as Youtube stops working, it just skips so the video is unwatchable? Again a restart fixes everything for awhile. Today it went 12 hours. I've had it for a month so I'm kinda annoyed about this. Audio driver reinstall didn't fix it.
As for the bump, I am very sorry about it, I didn't realize it could've been such as problem, again sorry.
m
l
August 1, 2010 5:19:15 PM

Harware diagnostic just turned up nothing...
m
l
August 2, 2010 4:39:10 PM

It could be a faulty Motherboard/processor. You might want to take it back to manufacturer. Even fi they say theres no warranty, this is a bit extreme and they should either walk you through a solution, OR just replace the product.
m
l
August 2, 2010 4:56:31 PM

I called Dell the other day and they told me to reinstall XP. I've had the laptop for a month and took me that long to get everything set up, so I posted on these forums to look for a seocnd opinion. I guess the first thing I'll do is reinstall XP. :/ 
m
l
August 2, 2010 5:01:31 PM

NO, call Dell, tell them you need to have the motherboard replaced. They will replace it with the same motherboard, so the drivers wont be effected. AND you wont have to reinstall XP. See if that fixes the issue.
m
l
August 21, 2010 5:00:13 PM

Won't I have to go through all the procedures they tell me before they replace anything for me?
m
l
August 22, 2010 8:27:16 AM

blackbari5 said:
Won't I have to go through all the procedures they tell me before they replace anything for me?

It s NOT incumbent upon the customer to troubleshoot, diagnose, or repair the defective machine.
You are the END user, not a preliminary screening repair center.

If they demand you do anything with that board, say.. "Oops!" , and then "Damn!" and then say it sparked over in the corner and now it's smoking, "What should I do now."
m
l
August 22, 2010 4:05:18 PM

I mean when I call them all they tell me to do is reinstall
m
l
August 22, 2010 6:34:46 PM

blackbari5 said:
I mean when I call them all they tell me to do is reinstall

Things you can say...

"been there, did that, your board is broke"

"I suspect a soldered connection is not proper, after use, things get warm, expand, and breaks surface contact"

"I have some friends that want to talk to you, in person. Is there plenty of motorcycle parking at your office?"

m
l
!