Sign in with
Your question

:(((( e8400 + MSI P6N Platinum will not post

Last response: in Motherboards
May 8, 2008 5:29:04 AM

I think I am going to cry, I've been working on this new computer for 3 hours, and haven't been able to get it to post with an e8400. The e4500 works fine, but not the e8400. Are there any bios tweaks that I need to do before using the e8400? :( 

EDIT: I have already updated my BIOS. Also, if the motherboard does not recognize the CPU, will the CD drive still work? because I can open it and close it and stuff.
edit edit:I tried the motherboard without the CPU and it turns on for about 5 seconds, and then just shuts off. With the e8400, it turns on, and then just sits there. Could this be a bad cpu?
May 8, 2008 6:00:02 AM

You said you updated your BIOS, what version are you using now? According to MSI website your board is compatible with the CPU with version 1.6
May 8, 2008 8:07:28 AM

try running it with minimal components, and preferably out-of-the-box on a peice of cardboard. this will ensure its not shorting anywhere.

do hear any sounds when u press the power button? do your fans spin up?

if u take out all the ram do u hear the infamous, "i have no ram " beeps?

proces of elimination is your friend.
Related resources
May 9, 2008 12:36:21 AM

I updated the BIOS to 1.6. I used many BIOS tweaks that are supposed to get it working, but none work. Is the CPU just dead??
May 30, 2008 3:10:32 AM

I am having the same problem. My RAM, CPU and Mobo are all fine (checked ram and cpu out on other machines and ran the 4500 on this board, no probs) but put the E8400 onto the P6N SLI Platinum board (with bios version 1.6) and nothing works. No beeps even. What BIOS tweaks did you try?
May 30, 2008 3:12:58 AM

What BIOS tweaks did you try? I have the exact same problem. All my components work fine on other machines, but put the E8400 onto my p6n sli platinum board and it won't post, even though the bios version is 1.6. There aren't even any beeps.
May 30, 2008 6:55:37 AM

I plugged in an E4500 and went into BIOS and changed all the settings to the native E8400 settings (I was told to do so.) I shut off the computer, and replaced the E4500 for the E8400, and turned it on.... and still nothing.

It's ok though, I got the GA-EP35-DS3L. Worked outta the box.
July 11, 2008 9:28:40 PM

I have a the same problem. I just got an E8400, I'm upgrading from a Pentium D 930. I have the P6N Platinum board with 1.6 bios. Everything works fine with my 930, then I put the E8400 in and the system turns on but nothing happens, just a black screen. I called MSI and they told me it was probably an E0 revision/stepping which is still "in testing" and their latest bios doesn't support it yet. I called intel however and they said the one I have is in fact a C0 revision/stepping and as of now (July 11) they have not shipped any E8400's with any other revision/stepping than C0. I know there's the possibility that the CPU could just be bad...but that seems very slim and since other people have the same problem with this motherboard and CPU that that may not be the case...

Has anyone who has had problems with getting the E8400 and MSI P6N Platinum to even post have any luck fix it??? I'm not sure if I should just return my cpu to newegg or get a replacement or just wait for a new bios from MSI....which who knows when that will be.....this cpu is supposed to work!!!

Anyone have words of advice? Please?
July 13, 2008 4:25:55 AM

Hello,

The problem is that you have the infamous 680i motherboard. I've seen the same problem with the EVGA 680i sli board.

Unfortunately, 680i boards do not support the new 45nm processors. Sometimes it does, but the defective boards outnumber the OK ones.

So with this, you have two options :( 

1) Buy a mobo thats better than the 680i (750i or above)

2) Buy a processor thats 65nm. You'll lose performance, but hey, it works.

I'd go for this processor, if you want to replace yours.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115028

It has a smaller cache size, but it would at least work on your mobo.

Hope this helped.

----edit----

By the way, don't go for another 680i board. The company may say a BIOS update would fix it, but in truth, it doesn't most of the time.
July 13, 2008 5:03:55 AM

Hi, thanks for the advice. I actually talked to MSI again yesterday and the person I spoke with told me to send it in for an RMA and they'd fix it or send me one back that does work with the E8400. What you said sounds the same as what the tech support guy told me, some of the boards work and some don't for some reason, even with the newest firmware upgrade. I sent it to them today, so now I'll just have to play the waiting game till I get it back....I sure hope my E8400 works in it after all this fiasco. I just bought this board in November 2007, so I don't really want to buy a new one until there's a bigger jump in the technology (newer socket maybe?).

Anyway, I'll try to remember to let you guys know in a few weeks when I get my board back if it indeed works with the E8400 processor.

P.S. painsfaith, the P6N SLI Platinum (the board I have) is actually a 650i, just so you know
September 2, 2008 8:04:53 PM

So this was all a lot more complicated than it should have been... After sending my motherboard to MSI twice I finally it back last week and it now works with the E8400. I have no idea what they did to the board to get it to work, but whatever it was it works now and I am happy. :) 

So if you have a problem with your P6N Platinum not working with the E8400 and the latest BIOS update does not help, call MSI and have them fix it. Make sure to thoroughly explain the situation and be firm about wanting it fixed... I'm not sure what they did the first time I sent mine to them (if anything) but it sure didn't work with the E8400 when I got it back like it was supposed to.

September 2, 2008 10:54:33 PM

ashughes88 said:
So this was all a lot more complicated than it should have been... After sending my motherboard to MSI twice I finally it back last week and it now works with the E8400. I have no idea what they did to the board to get it to work, but whatever it was it works now and I am happy. :) 

So if you have a problem with your P6N Platinum not working with the E8400 and the latest BIOS update does not help, call MSI and have them fix it. Make sure to thoroughly explain the situation and be firm about wanting it fixed... I'm not sure what they did the first time I sent mine to them (if anything) but it sure didn't work with the E8400 when I got it back like it was supposed to.

thanks for the update, dude, but i've long fixed the problem :) . I ordered a GA-EP35-DS3L.... works like a charm.
!