younghogget

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
Hello guys,

I am just wondering that is it possible to build a barebone pc with: cpu, motherboard, and memory for less than $350?
I bought a monitor about 3 months ago, that I only used twice and didn't like it. I had to go out of town for a while so I am way over the 30 days return policy. So now the store only allow me to return the monitor with store credit. I calculated that I will probably get about $350 store credit after the re-stocking fee is applied. So I just want to use the credit to get something.

The computer I am using now is an old Athlon 64, so I am think might as well to get a new Intel Core 2 Duo. So for that I have to get a new cpu, motherboard and memory. Is it possible for me to get them for less than or around $350 if I could get the new walfdale 45nm core 2 duo?

oushi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
If you're not much into gaming, I think the cheapest route with the most bang for your buck would be to get:

CPU: Intel Dual Core E2160 ($70) and overclock it a bit

Mobo: ASUS P5K-VM ($100) with onboard graphics
You'll need a USB mouse since it doesn't look like there's a PS2 socket for one, but you can get a basic one for $5 if you don't already have one.

Memory: A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 ($45 before $10 rebate)
There's tons of other choices, but this was the cheapest good ram I found with a quick search.

That brings you to $215 before tax, $10 rebate, and shipping.

Since you said you wanted something barebones, I put a mobo with onboard graphics. If you need something with a little more graphics power, you can change the mobo to a Gigabyte P35-DS3L ($90) and pick up a video card. I'm not too familiar with sub $100 video cards, but the 8600GT seems to be popular on newegg for ~$90. You'd have to ask someone else for better advise on a good cheap GPU. That would put you a little above $300, leaving you some room for tax and whatnot.

If you're not a big fan of overclocking and can live with the onboard graphics, you can also upgrade the cpu to a C2D E4600 ($140) or C2D E6550 ($170) putting you at $285 or $315 respectively. If you really want the E8400 and can find it in stock (listed ~$250 among reputable sellers), it would put you at around $400 before tax.

Of course, the prices and availability of the items will vary with whatever store your credit is stuck with...

oushi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
After reading up a little more, it seems like your money might be better spent on a 780G mobo, since it seems to have the best integrated graphics available at the moment. The Gigabyte version ($100) seems to have the most features, though the ECS version ($64 after $10 rebate) is cheaper and isn't too shabby either. If you go this route, you'd have to get an AMD processor instead.

younghogget

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
I already have a PCI-E video card. So thats not a problem. I think it's just a cpu, motherboard and ram.

I haven't been keeping up with the technology for quite sometime now. I dont know what motherboard and ram to get. I thought Intel motherboard goes well with its own processor, but I might be wrong. And there are some DDR2 ram for a really cheap price for 4GB. They are like 50 dollars or something around that. Should I get those?

And in addition, the retail store is Fry's.

oushi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Keep in mind that I, myself, am still in the middle of building my own computer, so I have to admit I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to computer components. But if you already have a GPU, here's what I recommend based on what I've learned so far and can find on fry's website...

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L ($94.99)
If you want a Core 2 Duo or Quad, this seems like the motherboard that is all the rage. As long as you don't need RAID or firewire and plan to only use a single GPU, you can't go wrong with this board. It's a P35 chipset, so you'll be able to use pretty much any intel cpu with it until the Nehalems which come out next year.

CPU: Intel Dual Core E2180 ($99.00)
If you're fine with overclocking, this is the processor to get. Many people have reported being able to OC to ~3GHz stable on stock voltage/cooling. You can also go for the E2160 which is usually 10 bucks cheaper and overclocks just as well. I just didn't see it on the website. If you don't want to OC, I would just go for whichever processor is the right price for you. It's hard to go wrong with any of the C2 Duos or Quads. The E4500 ($149.00) with the DS3L mobo would give you about $50 to spend on ram and have enough room to cover taxes (and shipping if applicable) with a little extra cash left over. The selection online seems a little slim, but if you can find a better cpu in-store for about $170, even better.

Memory: What ram are you looking at exactly? I haven't seen any 4GB set of ram for $50 on the website, but if you give the exact model you're interested in, people might be able to chime in about it. I'm not too knowledgeable about ram... I usually just look for what's in my price range and see what has the best reviews. :whistle: