cpu bottleneck with 8800gt?

I'm looking for advice on a vid card upgrade. I'm thinking about getting a stock 8800gt 512meg. But then I was possible looking at 9600gt as well. Why a 9600gt over an 8800gt? Because I was thinking that my amdx2 4200 might be a bottleneck with the 8800gt and I'd be spending extra money for no better performance.

Am I wrong in my thinking? Should I just get the 8800gt and possibly still get better performance regardless of processor? OF course I could get the 8800gt and save it for a future system, but after another year I'm sure there will be something better out that I'll want with a newer better system.

My system: amdx2 4200, 2g ddr2-5300 667 ram (dual channel), motherboard: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K9AGM2-L&class=mb
(still using the onboard sound), currently a BFG oc 8600gt, running mainly vista32 (I have a dual boot with xp, which I use for some games but not all).

I know I'll see a big improvement either way over my 8600gt, but I can't help but wonder if, on my system, there won't be much difference between the 8800 and the 9600.

Appreciate any input.
6 answers Last reply
More about bottleneck 8800gt
  1. What is your display size?
  2. 22inch lcd. I currently game at 1280 by 800; but of course would like to go up to 1680x1050 with a better vid card. But I'm flexible on the resolution if it gives better fps.
  3. 8800GTS 512 > 8800GT 512 > 9600GT 512.
    You'll gain a huge performance boost from 8600GT to either 9600GT or 8800GT. Though I think your cpu might bottleneck your vga a bit but less likely unnoticed.

It is wise that you also upgrade your cpu.
  4. I have an X2 4200 and I can tell you that if your just turn your setting sup a bit then you won't get bottlenecks. I am playing COD4 at high settings with AA on 2 at a res of 1280x1024 on my 17inch and I get 70+ fps with no bottlenecking occuring when I check my processor activity though the processor is about 90% utilized. You can always over clock a bit. Isn't that the whole point to buying a nice board and RAM versus just buying mediocre parts? You can run your parts at stock until they start to get a little slow and then over clock them just a bit and squeaze another year or so out of your system before you build another high dollar system.
  5. On , 1280x800, there is a sort of CPU bottleneck, but in reality.....

...... CPU bottlenecks are overrated, you will get a boost. Just don't expect scenes like a 6 person firefight in Crysis to improve much, but everything else, will go at least 2X faster. Besides, the highest FPS the eye can notice is only 60FPS.
  6. kona said:
    I have an X2 4200 and I can tell you that if your just turn your setting sup a bit then you won't get bottlenecks. I am playing COD4 at high settings with AA on 2 at a res of 1280x1024 on my 17inch and I get 70+ fps with no bottlenecking occuring when I check my processor activity though the processor is about 90% utilized. You can always over clock a bit. Isn't that the whole point to buying a nice board and RAM versus just buying mediocre parts? You can run your parts at stock until they start to get a little slow and then over clock them just a bit and squeaze another year or so out of your system before you build another high dollar system.

What is your vga may I ask?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Bottleneck Graphics