Sign in with
Your question

How to shorten my list of processes

Last response: in Windows XP
July 30, 2010 2:31:14 AM

About a month ago, I bought new components to a computer and put it together and I'm in love with this computer. However, there are so many processes upon start-up which is aggravating me.

I want to have my computer start with as few processes and services as possible. The problem is that I don't know what's important and what's not.

The last time I tried to disable all my processes, I turned off my wifi connection and couldn't get it back on.

I am not sure how to make a list of all the processes and services in the list. Is there a way for me to do it or should I just make screenshots of the lists and upload it to the forums?

Thanks in advance for any help!

More about : shorten list processes

July 30, 2010 4:08:14 AM

Click or right-click all those programs you have running in the system tray and see if the program options has an entry to "Start when Windows Starts" or something similar and uncheck it.
m
l
July 30, 2010 5:00:41 PM

Thank you for the response but I don't mean the processes in the system tray. I mean when I go to msconfig and I look at the "Services" and the "Start up" directories.

Also, when I go to ctrl-alt-delete and into the processes directory
m
l
Related resources
August 6, 2010 1:37:27 AM

I still have not been able to figure out which services and processes are not important. Is there anyone else who could help me please?

Thanks a lot!
m
l
August 6, 2010 6:47:26 AM

Personally I wouldn't bother unless you have a very low spec PC, but have a look at this article.
m
l
!