Sound Card and case question (Antec Nine Hundred )

bananajuice

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Hi all,

I want to get the Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16811129021

with this sound card

Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 70SB104000000 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102017

or this one

Turtle Beach TBS-3300-01 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Montego DDL Sound Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118109

would i be able to use the front header jacks on this case w/ the card. One of the reveiwers stated that the case must have Intel HD Audio Header. is this true (plus I have no clue what it means:) )

I rather use the second one, since its a PCI slot, the evga MB setup seems to block the pci express if i use the GeForce 8800GTS.

can some one suggest a sound card that has all the inputs such as mic, headphone, and line as seperate inputs instead as the flexjack.

i will be buying the following as it stands using XP Pro, I would love any suggestions

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=5715905&ItemList=

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
-
EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
-
1 EVGA 512-P3-N841-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI ()will get 2nd later or step up)
-
PC Power & Cooling S75QB EPS12V 750W Power Supply
-
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6850
-
G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
-
2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
-
ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T - Retail
-
Turtle Beach TBS-3300-01 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Montego DDL Sound Card

thanks inadvance

i know alot of you have the 900 case with the 780i evga MB, what sound cards are you using and how are using the on-board sound?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
i may be wrong,but i think that the intel audio header [also called front panel audio connector] is the pin connector on the mobo for audio out,i think it is for front audio conections and such,usually,but not always located to the lower front of the mobo..then again on my present mobo 'tis way at the back,go figure..)

bananajuice

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I just feel lost about sound, I like this case and plan on getting it and would like to use the top audio jacks. I am not that technical and dont understand.

I am having a buddy help me build this and will be learning alot. But its my job to get the components right. I feel like i am close and I w/in budget $1,500.

cornholio_oh

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I have the Antec 900 case and the EVGA 780i SLI board.

The X-Fi Xtreme card that you have selected does have the proper Intel HD audio header to connect to the front audio panel of the Antec 900. But, the bad news is that the video card that you have selected takes up 2 slots because of the heatsink / fan. The EVGA 780i board only has 1 PCI-e 1x slot on it and it sits next the video slot. So with this motherboard and videocard combination, you will not be able to use that particular audio card.

For the Turtle Beach card, it will fit with the motherboard and video card combination because it uses a regular PCI slot. But, I do not know if it has the Intel HD header on it to connect to the front audio panel. I would suggest going to Turtle Beach's website and look at the complete specs on it to see if it has the HD header.

bananajuice

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
thanks corn,

what r u using for sound in your rig?. i mainly play using headphones because i have a 5 month baby in the house :)

so is on-board ok. however, i rather have something other then on-board

cornholio_oh

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008

Actually, I have been using the Realtek onboard sound and it's actually pretty darn good (in my opinion). However, with all of the talk about how good X-Fi sound is and the recent rebates with Creative Labs, I ordered a X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional audio card last week. I am expecting the card to arrive on Monday (3/17). But I also found that there are alot of negative comments on Creative Lab's forums about static / popping noises from the X-Fi cards. Half of the people say the X-Fi card is the most awesome audio card, and others say they will never buy a Creative product again because of the problems and lack of support. So I am hoping that I have a good experience with this card.

Just to let you know, the Fatal1ty cards DO NOT have the Intel HD front audio header on them. Instead, they have a proprietary inline 10-pin connector, which means Creative wants you to buy their expensive I/O audio panel. However, there is a 3rd party cable adapter that you can make/buy which connects from the Creative proprietary connector to an HD or AC'97 connector for the CPU case. I am uncertain if this adapter cable is 100% effective. I have heard people having problems with the microphone jack not working. I guess I will find out on Monday night.

Just to let you know, the Antec 900 case has 2 types of front panel audio connectors (AC'97 and HD), which makes the case more versatile. You should only use one of these connectors, not both at the same time.

bananajuice

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Thanks so much, i just purchased the 900 case last night, they just added a $40 mail-in rebate (80 bucks for the case, what a deal). I plan on ordering the rest of the parts over the next month. I was concerned about all the bad reviews creative was getting also, plus i dont like that flexplug (mic in/audio in). I have XM radio and like to use the audio in on my current card.

I was looking at the following card

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16829271001
HT OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

it got some good reviews and is pci plus has all the connection i need. I will look at the on-board card. If its good, i might just use that and return what I purchased (I never use my pc to view movies or play music, that what the Big screen is for :) I just like good sound in games. i have a 5.1 pc speakers, a good set nothing crazy creative labs or something $145 at the time, and i am fine with what my audiugy (sp?) 2 in my current system was producing.

Mark Wills

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009

Thanks corn, I was wondering about that. So either the AC'97 connector head on the case should connect to the "FP Audio connecter" on the nForce 780i SLI mobo, or the "HD Audio" connector on the case should connect to the "Azalia HD Audio Header", but never connecting both of them. I suppose connecting using the "HD Video" header and connectors will give better sounds through headphones? Or there is no difference?