E8500 running at 1.344V in default settings

charilaos

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
Hi all!

I have the following problem:
I have an E8500 running at default speed on a x48 dq6 Gigabyte motherboard with 4gb of transcend ddr2 memory running at 1066 MHZ.
Allthough I haven't overclocked my machine and allthough the vcore voltage is set to "auto" in bios (which says is 1.225 or sth like that) when I check cpuz it shows that vcore is 1.344v. In addition to all this I can't run my memory at 1066 because vista is unstable (after some time of use blue screen appears with memory management problems) but this is something normal for this mobo as I have read on other forums. If I run on 800mhz everything works fine.
Another problem is that I can't increase fsb in order to overclock because every time I do so the system reboots twice and bios takes settings back to default (seems like my system can't handle that increase).

As I read elsewhere increasing the fsb to 1600 and running e8500 on 3.8ghz is something that easily can be achieved.

Any thoughts?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

1600mhz fsb should be fine on p35, 780i chipsets or above. Maybe you got a bad processor? What's the VID? Auto tends to overvolt. You should set it manually. Typically, vcore is usually displayed lower in windows than in BIOS. Did you confuse actual measured vcore to VID?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
your violating rules of simple oc --

i am guessing

first do not run 4 dimms of ram, if you running 2 dimms increase the voltage
second up the latencys with 4 dimms of ram

3.8ghz is childs play - yes you should use 1066 ram

set the voltage to 2.1v
set the nb voltage to 1 setting down from the highest

no - your system is rebooting and resetting becasue your settings are wrong the mobo is working correctly inorder not to lock up

your settings are wrong - those are typical results from too little voltage or bad memroy

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
this mightsound wierd but i would flash my (your bios) some of the e8 & q9 (esp q9) CPU run 'OK' but are much the better after a bios flash becasue they are in affect to new

charilaos

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
First of all thanks a lot for all the answers submitted!
It seems that I just can't enable "cpu host control clock". Even if I enable it and leave everything unchanged (no overclocking) it boots up twice and returns to default settings (disabled cpu host control clock). So I figured that the problem isn't that I cannot increase the fsb but that bios won't let me do anything else than the default settings for the cpu.

Any furter ideas?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Faulty motherboard? If not, you can try increasing nb voltage. Maybe it's not the hardware, bios update may help.

charilaos

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
There isn't an update for my motherboard because it's a new one.
Here are some pictures of what I'm trying to do. Is anything wrong?

Do I have to change also some of these settings?

charilaos

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
After some reading in other forums I discovered that usb hubs connected might cause the problem. I unpluged my external hard disk from the oncase usb hub (mounted on top of the front panel of my coolermaster cosmos case) and everything seems to work just fine. My system now is overclocked at 3.8ghz and it's rock solid!!!

charilaos

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
I'm underclocking my ram because if I run at 1066mhz with 4gb of ram, vista is unstable. I've read on other forums that when using this specific motherboard (gigabyte x48 dq6) with 4 sticks of 1066 ram vista becomes unstable (random BSOD) whereas using 4 sticks at 800mhz is ok. I've tried using 3 or less sticks run with 1066MHZ and everything becomes stable again. There must be a bios problem so I'm waiting for an update. The 5-5-5-18 on 800mhz and 5-5-5-15 on 1066mhz are ram manufacturer's ratings.