Your question

Building new computer need advice -computer noob

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 17, 2008 8:44:38 AM

Hi I live in New Zealand so not all parts are readily available as in the us. i have a budget of around 1000-1100 us dollars.
These are the specs i have so far
Intel Q6600
2 X 2 gb ram Corsair XMS2 DHX TWIN2X DDR2 PC2 6400 800MHZ CL5
8800gts 512mb asus or inno3d. or 9800gts if its less than 340usd in nz.
Asustek P5K-SE Intel P35 ATX motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200.10 SATA2-300 NCQ 16MB 7200rpm OEM hard drive
TK 965TX-DF V-2.0 650W DUAL FAN 725W MAX
Need advice on a good cheapish case.

I got no clue on what type of psu to get. I have read a couple of psu faqs and im still lost.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also if any one knows a us company that ships overseas (to new zealand) and provides warranty please let me know.
Need any type of criticism and feedback.
thx

More about : building computer advice computer noob

March 17, 2008 11:16:57 AM

Are you going to overclock?If not stock cooler will be fine but if you do plan on overclocking get something like a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or a Tuniq Tower 120.
For the graphics card you should seriously consider the manufacturer evga
because they give you 10 YEARS WARRANTY and OVERCLOCKING DOESN'T VOID YOUR WARRANTY.
Also you should look at the seagate 500GB 7200.11 RPM hard drive.
For a case you could look at the Antec 900.It provides great airflow at a great price.
For the psu you should look at the corsair HX620.Its modular which is great
for neat wiring.Tiger Direct ship worldwide but its up to the manufacturer to
give you warranty.Try and get all the parts in New Zealand or Australia because if you order from the USA you will have to pay import tax and will not have warranty on most parts.
March 17, 2008 11:31:02 AM

Swap that SE board out for P5K or P5K-E with the option to overclock in the future.

Pick out a tier 1/2/3 450w+ psu: i.e. Hiper

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

A low-priced case, huh? Look at CoolerMaster's offerings like C5, 4xx & CM690.

BTW, I know Q9330 is out in Europe. You might wanna take a look.

If you're talking about manufacturer warranty, the big names have outsourced service centers outside of their home countries like Taiwan.

http://www.asus.co.nz/

3 years on mobo. Keep the receipts.

What are you using the pc for?
Related resources
March 18, 2008 2:50:05 AM

using the pc for gaming mostly butlow budget.
Um with the evga graphics card they are insanely expensive in new zealand and only 1 company sells this because there the only place to sell it they charge a large amount. i have looked into tiger direct but i have heard they are not that great. And not overclocking. q9300 is more expensive than the q6600. How many watts would i need ?
March 18, 2008 11:25:52 AM

The power req. varies from card to card. Look at the manufacturer's specs. A pc with 8800GTS512 requires 450W 30A.

It's best to get a more powerful psu than required so as not to stress the psu. Once it's stressed, it may start to lose efficiency, in which, more electricity is wasted. Look for 80%+ efficiency rating in a psu. Earthwatts is decent.

The only problem with TD is rebates. My TD rebate checks all came. Don't rely on rebates. If you must, make sure the rebate is a small amount.
March 19, 2008 7:12:51 AM

ok thanks for all the help
!