Sign in with
Your question

P5B Won't post, beep codes present

Last response: in Motherboards
May 9, 2008 4:55:35 AM

I have a P5B, non deluxe. 8800GTS, 6600 CPU, etc.

Was working fine, then I ordered some RAM and a Zalman 9500 heatsink. I install the heatsink, RAM, go to restart the computer, it beeps once, like it would normally, but nothing is happening. Monitor isn't getting a signal. Keyboard LEDs work though. I can press the numlock and capslock and the LEDs act accordingly. After maybe 10 seconds, there are two very quick beeps, then silence. Doesn't restart itself.

I've stripped it down to just the video card, motherboard, CPU, keyboard and one stick of RAM, and it does the same thing. Not having a keyboard hooked up will yield a 'normal' medium length beep, silence, no screen, then three short beeps. Removing the RAM or video card will yield a long beep followed by three short beeps right away. No pausing, or acting like things are starting 'normally.' Also, whereas the RAM or Video Card-less beeps will be a 'beeeeep beeep beeep,' the beeps I experience when everything is hooked up, are extremely fast. There are no gaps between the beeps at all, and they are very short duration.

I am leaning towards that I hooched my motherboard somehow, but the lack of a video signal gives me doubts. Any advice would be great. Thank you for your time.
May 9, 2008 8:07:15 AM

consult the manual or standard POST beep code database. try the RAM in every single slot possible. try another brand RAM
March 19, 2009 6:45:45 PM

i also have P5B standard board, with 8800GTS. my computer has been working fine for 18 months, but now will not POST.

i get the normal 1 beep when turning on, then 5 to 10 seconds later i get 2 beeps (each beep is the same duration as the first beep and almost no time between them, just as hwdaishi described). i have reset the CMOS and unplugged everything except RAM, video, CPU

hwdaishi - did you solve your problem? did you have to replace the video card, motherboard, or PSU? i don't know which one to order!! my brother wont let me pull his PC apart to try by trial and error!
Related resources
March 19, 2009 10:26:11 PM

I had beeping codes got everything. Ends up see what works try the stuff in other computers note whats good helps you single it out. Look up beep codes in manual and Internet. But may work in one machine not the other. Good luck see listing on motherboard sites for compatibility but that coded part. Lots of things can cause your computer not to work such as a floppy cable backward. Get it down to nothing only memory and video card or cards try it then. Mines is a Asus P5Q SE/R was a video card 9800 gt. New after one hour of use, no video but it doesn't work in other computers samething.
March 19, 2009 10:36:02 PM

did online chat with asus tech. eliminated cpu and ram.

had to be either video card, power to video card, or connection from video card to motherboard.

tried another video card and psu - no joy. my video card worked in another machine. must be the motherboard that is goosed. that will teach me not to use a steam cleaner on the carpet just a few feet away from the PC (even though it was off at the time)!
March 27, 2009 3:23:32 PM

branney said:
did online chat with asus tech. eliminated cpu and ram.

had to be either video card, power to video card, or connection from video card to motherboard.

tried another video card and psu - no joy. my video card worked in another machine. must be the motherboard that is goosed. that will teach me not to use a steam cleaner on the carpet just a few feet away from the PC (even though it was off at the time)!

How did they elminate the cpu and ram? Having similar problem on new build.
March 27, 2009 6:54:15 PM

Did you get different ram or more ram?
Try to put your old ram back in.
I think what is going on is that the new ram needs more voltage.
With the old ram in and if it runs go into the bios and up the voltage to like 1.9 or 2.0 and then replace with the new ram.
Below is a link with beep codes
http://www.biosman.com/ami_beeps.html
!