Sign in with
Your question

Zalman 9700 Retention Guide on E8400

Last response: in Overclocking
November 6, 2008 2:34:00 AM

I'm attaching (or trying to attach) a Zalman 9700 to an E8400 on a Asus Maximus II Formula MB. The retention guide seems to have a lot of curve in it, its going to take a fair amount of pressure to even get the screws in, let alone tighten them. Is this normal?
November 6, 2008 3:16:17 AM

yes, the zalman 9700...here's my tip

use a LONG screw driver to put in the screws, if u have a magnetic one, that will save you a lot of time. so get one screw into the little crossbar piece that goes over the bottom plate of the 9700, tighten it JUST enough so that it'll stay but not all the way.

after that is in place, then tighten the other screw on the other side a bit more, and go back and fourth until both are tighten down.

the thing is, with a long screwdriver, you don't have to exert as much force as you will with a short one. my first time, i used a short screwdriver and it was a *(&!@#)%@! time. i later borrowed my friends screwdriver, and it was 10x easier.
November 6, 2008 3:18:58 AM

aznguy0028 said:
yes, the zalman 9700...here's my tip

use a LONG screw driver to put in the screws, if u have a magnetic one, that will save you a lot of time. so get one screw into the little crossbar piece that goes over the bottom plate of the 9700, tighten it JUST enough so that it'll stay but not all the way.

after that is in place, then you gotta somehow push the crossbar piece down enough so you can tighten the other screw on the other side, tighten the 2nd screw a bit more than the 1st and go back and fourth until both are tighten down. it does take a bit of force to push the crossbar piece down once the 1st screw is in place, but it's not so much that it's dangerous, unless you got some crazy man hands that'll break everything you touch. (ha!)

the thing is, with a long screwdriver, you don't have to exert as much force as you will with a short one. my first time, i used a short screwdriver and it was a *(&!@#)%@! time. i later borrowed my friends screwdriver, and it was 10x easier.

November 6, 2008 3:19:45 AM

ack, quoted instead of quick edit...sorry, but 2nd post is what i meant.
!