Sign in with
Your question

Will an Intel MB that supports Dual Core support Quad Core?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 9, 2008 7:48:37 AM

I have a friend that's getting ready to buy an off-the-shelf Intel Dual Core PC and wants to be able to upgrade to a Quad Core in the future. Offhand, I can't think of any reason why a motherboard that supports a Dual Core wouldn't support a Quad Core, but: I feel like I might be missing something.

Opinions (other than "don't buy an off-the-shelf PC") are welcomed :) 

Thanks

a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2008 8:30:32 AM

AARRGGHHH said:
"don't buy an off-the-shelf PC"

^ Agree with that part :kaola: 

But really, it is a crap shoot.
Some of them do, many do not.

What off the shelf system is he looking at buying?
May 9, 2008 9:15:21 AM

It depends on the motherboard in the current dual core system. The X38 and x48 can handle all the available dual/quad core chips from intel as can the Nvidia 780i and 790i. The P33/G33/Q33 and P35/G35/Q35 Intel mobo's can handle any quad core's but the Extreme series. Intel mobo's older than that can not handle any of the newer 45nm quad cores.

Use Intel's compatibility tool to check.
http://processormatch.intel.com/COMPDB/default.aspx
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2008 10:19:22 AM

huh?? I Thought P35 boards could support QXxxxx CPUs just as well...
Asus doesn't specify it, they are just talking about 45nm quads and I would assume that includes qx as well
http://event.asus.com/mb/45nm/

but maybe intel has done something to theirs.... :/ 
a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2008 10:28:53 AM

Kari said:
huh?? I Thought P35 boards could support QXxxxx CPUs just as well...

Yes, they can handle any current Intel CPU.
Same as the P33, X38 and X48.
I am 98% sure that the P965 chipset can handle all current Intel CPUs also...
Of course it is up to the manufacturer of the Mb to wright a BIOS that supports newer CPUs so there are probably some cheap Mbs that do not.
a b V Motherboard
a b å Intel
May 9, 2008 12:42:03 PM

AARRGGHHH said:
getting ready to buy an off-the-shelf Intel Dual Core PC and wants to be able to upgrade to a Quad Core in the future.
He'll greatly increase his chances of success if he buys his dual core PC from a Mfgr who has Quads in the same lineup.
Like *cough* Dell Inspiron is offering C2D E8200 and Q6600 at the moment, or Dell XPS offering E8400/E8500/Q6600/QX9650.
Even that is not the same thing as a guarantee - as outlw6669 pointed out its up to the Mfgr to write a BIOS to make the magic happen.
And sometimes those guys would just as soon "encourage" you to buy a whole new system.

Lastly - if your games are GPU bound by the video card and monitor resolution you might see no performance increase in a Quad. Or even be DOWNGRADING by going to a quad core in some cases. In the example below the game is GPU bound @ 16x12 resolution with a HD3870.
(your mileage may vary by the games, video card, resolution of your monitor and the video quality options you choose for the games)

a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2008 1:01:47 PM

It might, it might not.
As someone mentioned earlier, most off the shelf PC's are not built to accomodate many upgrade options, they want you to buy a whole PC and pay them a premium for their premium builds. They don't want you buying the low-end model and spending your money somewhere else to upgrade it.

If he wants to upgrade parts later, ...........I am going to say it anyway, He should NOT be buying a off the shelf PC. It's just a bad choice.
a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2008 1:50:43 PM

My Foxconn p965 mobo will support a quad core...but only the q6600 or higher with 1066 fsb.
As for off the shelf, if he's going that way because he can't build it himself, then get a quad core off the hop and put a decent vid card in it and start playing!
Alot of lower end "off the shelf" pc's are hard wired for only a few cpus and the only upgrades they will let you do are memory, video card and power supply.
If I was buying "off the shelf" right now I'ld buy a emachine.....lol lol lol!!!
Just kidding. I'ld buy Dell...good support, reliable and decent price!
a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2008 1:58:44 PM

Long story short. If you're going to keep upgrading, build it yourself. Every OEM machine I've dealt with had a locked BIOS.
!