22 or 24 lcd

memetic

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
I don't care about size as much as quality. I am looking for a 22 or 24 inch monitor that is a good quality. I read the post about a good 24 inch under $500, someone mentioned a monitor at the end that sounded good. Does anyone have any advice for a good 22-24 inch for under $500?

Thanks

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
for image quality from lcd panels of the same quality the image qualty goes like this 20">24">22" due to the pixel pitchs of the screens. Monitor brands seems to matter a lot, personally I like samsungs the best out of what Ive seen I prefer them over sony and sharp.

If size doesnt matter go with 20" over either 22" or 24". However given the choice between 22 or 24inch for image quality the 24" is the way to go but beware the number of pixels you have to drive will take its toll on graphics performance. a 20" monitor offers more pixels per inch than either 22" or 24" and identical GPU performance to the 22"

Ideally you want to use your own eyes to make up your mind, I have used monitors from 0.20dot pitch to 0.294 and I can see very noticeable differences in image quality for about every 0.01 step in pixel pitch anything below that sort of difference is more of an "overall impression" and very difficult to quantify. My tastes are not your tastes my eyes arent your eyes. But cold hard pixel sizes are fact. You might well be happy with a 0.294 pixel pitch monitor if youve never seen a 0.20 pixel pitch monitor doing its thing! (dont even try finding a lcd panel with 0.20 pixel pitch, its old top end CRT's that worked at that sort of level)

Thinking about it I seem to have vague recollections of 14" "VGA" CRTs that were 0.32 pixel pitch.... YUCK!

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

What screen have you got at the moment? you can compare it to your current one to get an idea for how pixel pitch might effect it, You really need to look at a good few monitors in the flesh to appreciate differences.

I personally find .258 barely acceptable but thats only because I have a .20 to game on, its like anything you can only compare it to what youve experienced. if your current monitor is a .294 19" lcd and before that you had a .32 15" CRT then the .27 will look great to you. if youve been playing on a friends 20" .258 samsung screen you MAY be dissapointed no guarantees on that though, you may find that having the bigger screen makes up for the small difference in pixel pitch.

I couldnt comment on the brand of the monitor Ive not tried it personally I feel the samsungs Ive seen recently are nicer than the sony's or sharps.

memetic

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
At work I have a viewsonic vg2021 and a vp930b dual set-up (I know both of these are pretty crappy monitors, so almost anything I get will be better). At home I was using a 22" widescreen samsung lcd tv, but it just blew out the other day. I also have a small 17" widescreen sharp, which is too small for ACAD, but really nice picture.

I like samsung but I am scared because the samsung tv only lasted 3-4 years.

I use Autocad a lot, surf the internet, and watch a lot of movies (I rarely play games). I don't need a high end graphic artists' monitor, I just want something good - good viewing angles (for watching movies around the room), decent blacks so my movies don't look washed out. I don't care about speakers.

I really like the specs of the one I posted, but I never heard of Doublesight Displays. But, I haven't heard of a lot of things.

Thanks

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

Ahh now if its not for gaming then you are looking for something different entirely. If you are looking for good viewing angles Im afraid I couldnt recommend the latest samsung panels, whilst good(for a lcd) for gaming the ones I have seen have had what I consider very poor viewing angles, you probably need to look for a non TN type panel. If you are watching a lot of movies from a distance then pixel pitch isnt going to help so much.

I think youd be quite dissapointed with high response rate gaming panels far better to look for the more expensive non gaming panels.

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

Its going to be hard to find non-tn panels but for what you are doing its going to be worth the effort.

memetic

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
Isn't the one I posted a non TN panel? I have been reading that is what I need, but everyplace I look (amazon, newegg, pcconnection etc) they don't say if it is TN or non TN.

Thanks

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

looking at the specs Im pretty sure thats another TN panel just going by the response rate and the similarity in specs to similiar size TN panels

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
The DS-240WB uses a TN panel. An easy way to check is the claimed viewing angles - 160/160 or 170/160 are definitely TN panels. Unless the manufacturer is lying, 176/176 is usually a PVA panel and 178/178 is usually an IPS panel (though I have seen PVA and TN panels labeled as having 178/178 angles). So if you see 160/160, you know its a TN, if you see anything else, research further.

You can search for panel information here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm

I can tell you now though that there really aren't any good 24" monitors under $500. The cheapest you'll find them for is probably around $600-650.

memetic

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
That's what I'm talking about:

"The average consumer usually has no idea what panel technology is used in their LCD. In fact, many power users are also unaware, simply because the panel type is rarely listed by the manufacturer in the monitor specifications."

That's right from the article you posted. Does someone have a decent, current list of non TF panels?

Thanks

memetic

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
OK, suppose I am really cheap and want to be like all the other average consumers wanting a big 24" monitor for cheap ($350 max). Does anyone have a recommendation? The monitors I have at work aren't the greatest, but if they are even slightly better I will be happy.

Or suppose I don't care about size and will go with a 22" (also $350 max), any recommendations?

Thanks everyone with all your help so far.

Kabobi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
I got a Samsung 245bw (24 inch) and am very happy with it. However, it is TN panel, so it is good for gaming and bad for video/photo editing. If you want a 24" for video/photo editing, look beyond $500.

Also the 245bw is not ideal for watching movies from a distance, but otherwise it is fabulous.

Currently, imho, Samsung is making the best monitors. Price/Performance wise.

memetic

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
OK, I decided on dtq’s advice to forget about the 22”. And the 20” is just too small for what I want. That leaves the 24” as my only option. That makes it easier. Now I am down to three monitors:

ViewSonic Q241WB $329.95
Samsung SyncMaster 245BW $399.99
DoubleSight Displays DS-240WB $349.00 (for a few more days, then $449.00)

All three are tempting for different reasons. Anyone had good or bad experiences with any of these? Any input would be appreciated.
Also, sorry for posting so much, but I need to get the monitor asap.

Thanks for all the advice.

ps just saw the kabobi comment thanks. do you think the $60 is worth the difference? I will spend $400 if I know it is going to be better. also, I am still scared after my samsung lcd tv just died.

memetic

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
yeah, great I found an open box one for $469.99. I am sure that monitor is a lot better. Unfortunately, that's more than I plan to spend.

I still have to spend $1200 more to replace my samsung lcd tv.

The plan was to have a dedicated monitor that I can watch movies on while I am building architectural models and what not when I am not using it for ACA. And then have a dedicated TV that I don't need to use for drafting.

I don't necessarily need the best monitor ever, just something good. The cheaper the better. I guess I am an average consumer. If I had more money I wouldn't be. at least i'm educated.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

You are going to spend $1200 replaceing the lcd tv? How about getting a dlp projector for your main movie watching and a 20" tn panel for normal computer work? Should be able to get a far better bigger image out of a projector than you ever did from your lcd tv. I watch my movies on an 8foot wide screen!

memetic

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
I used to have two lcd projectors (both sharps) - I really loved them. The only problem is my new place I have all glass doors 6'x7' all the way along one side (30 feet) and turning the corner is one more. then more windows and a skylight.

I don't want to have to close shades every time I watch a movie. Someday I will setup a theater in the lower level of my house.

Right now I just need a monitor that can double as a movie monitor until I buy a new tv a few months down the road.

eltouristo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Pixels per inch/pixel pitch doesnt matter really. its the resolution that gives detail. With a larger pitch(less pixels per inch) you simply must have the monitor farther away to look the same as a smaller monitor closer. The monitor will naturally be bigger to produce the same resolution as smaller monitor with smaller pitch. Its bigger and heavier but probably a little easier on the eyes and much better for viewing with a friend from a distance.