Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

E8400 performance problem (3dmark06 cpu score: 1618)

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 14, 2008 4:04:12 PM

HELP!!!

My System:

  • Windows XP SP2
  • Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3ghz
  • 2x1gb 1800mhz Dual Chan RAM
  • Asus Maximus Extreme m/b
  • Sapphire Radeon HD3870X2 CCC 8.3

    I have manually set the ram to 1.96v but left everything else on auto in the bios, including CPU.

    CPU-Z states:
  • CPU is at 333mhz Bus Speed, 1333mhz FSB 9x Multiplier for 3ghz.
  • RAM is at 667mhz (x2 Dual Chan for 1333mhz) Timings: 7-7-7-20-1T / SPD

    My cpu score from 3dMark06 is 1618.

    When i change the FSB to 400mhz and DRAM to 1600mhz. CPU Speed is 3.6ghz and RAM is 8-9-9-23/800mhz but the CPU Score is still only 1800 with 3dmark06.

    Total 3dmark score on 1333mhz is:

    Score: 9492
    SM2.0: 4975
    SM3.0: 4983
    CPU score: 1618

    Sisoft Memory Bandwidth says 7679mb/s but RUNid string is 2x512mb PC3-5300??

    Results on 1600mhz is about the same.

    Can someone help? I dont know why the CPU mark is soooo low. It should be more than 2500 at least?

    Many thanks.
    a c 126 à CPUs
    April 14, 2008 4:12:33 PM

    Um your whole system is held back. Those shader scores seem to be low to me. For the CPU, turn off speedstep and c1e that way it runs at 3GHz all the time. Make sure your GPU is being seen as x16 cuz with that card & CPU you should be hitting 13K+.
    April 14, 2008 4:35:07 PM

    you have not overclocked the proc! why? you can easily get it to 4GHz. on air and that in itself will boost ya.
    Related resources
    April 14, 2008 4:37:53 PM

    Don't overclock until you solve the problem at hand first. It'll complicate things.
    a c 126 à CPUs
    April 14, 2008 4:44:50 PM

    doubletake33 said:
    you have not overclocked the proc! why? you can easily get it to 4GHz. on air and that in itself will boost ya.


    Dude at stock he should be getting like 3k for the CPU score and he is getting half of that. OC is not an option right now until we find out whats wrong.

    To tell you the truth it seems like its the mobo. Do you have any other mobos or CPUs to test it with?
    April 14, 2008 4:47:41 PM

    1810597,2,296554 said:
    For the CPU, turn off speedstep and c1e that way it runs at 3GHz all the time.

    I had a question, my mobo is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L. How do i disable speedstep, I dont see that in my bios? Its probably listed as something else.
    April 14, 2008 4:51:43 PM

    balearic said:
    1810597,2,296554 said:
    For the CPU, turn off speedstep and c1e that way it runs at 3GHz all the time.

    I had a question, my mobo is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L. How do i disable speedstep, I dont see that in my bios? Its probably listed as something else.
    said:



    It's not called c1e on Gigabyte boards. I don't remember the name exactly, but it's in the "Intelligent Tweaker" section. Each option gives you a description on the right of screen, look for one that says things like performance throttling on program startup, or something like that.
    a b à CPUs
    April 14, 2008 4:58:16 PM

    enhanced intel speedstep = EIST
    April 14, 2008 5:12:28 PM

    I watched the AI Suite cpu speed and it went from 2ghz to 3ghz when under load, but the results are the same :( 

    I turned off speedstep and c1e but it made no difference.

    I too was thinking it should hit 3k with just the cpu.. i thought maybe its the ram holding the cpu back but the mb/s is ok i think?

    Thanks for the replies.. any other ideas?
    April 14, 2008 5:21:29 PM

    jonny1800 said:
    I watched the AI Suite cpu speed and it went from 2ghz to 3ghz when under load, but the results are the same :( 

    I turned off speedstep and c1e but it made no difference.

    I too was thinking it should hit 3k with just the cpu.. i thought maybe its the ram holding the cpu back but the mb/s is ok i think?

    Thanks for the replies.. any other ideas?



    Underclock the ram to rule it out as possible source for unstability while overclocking cpu.
    a b à CPUs
    April 14, 2008 5:25:02 PM

    Id go to the memory mfg website and check what the voltages are recommended to be set to. Then reset defaults in the BIOS and set the standard settings to test it everything works correctly.

    If that gets you back to ground zero then you can start tweaking things again. Do you have the latest BIOS update to ensure compatability for your CPU if it has one?
    April 14, 2008 5:30:05 PM

    Does XP see your CPU as dual core?
    April 14, 2008 5:34:35 PM

    What's your power supply? maybe it's holding your PC back?
    April 14, 2008 5:40:00 PM

    Everything is standard/SPD, im not overclocking the ram, its 1800mhz ram, i have it at 333fsb which is 1333mhz ram.

    XP says core 2 duo cpu and shows 2 cpus

    PSU is Tagan 750W

    Thanks.
    a b à CPUs
    April 14, 2008 5:49:35 PM

    Your motherboard could be undervolting your ram at default settings. My EVGA 780i motherboard was set by default at a lower voltage than my memory was supposed to be set. I has to increase it manually to 2.0 after going to OCZs website and finding the correct voltage settings.

    Just a suggestion if you havent check already.

    Do you have the latest BIOS installed?
    April 14, 2008 9:48:30 PM

    I have the latest 1004 bios and manually set the ocz ram to 1.96v at recommended.. thanks for the reply.

    I am clueless as to what the problem is, but at least you all agree there is a problem.
    I wish i knew how to pinpoint what hardware the problem lies with. I cant test the cpu without it using the ram and vice versa.

    I guess my only choice is to buy more ram and another cpu to test with :( 

    Unless anyone has any more ideas ?
    April 14, 2008 9:59:20 PM

    jonny1800 said:
    I have the latest 1004 bios and manually set the ocz ram to 1.96v at recommended.. thanks for the reply.

    I am clueless as to what the problem is, but at least you all agree there is a problem.
    I wish i knew how to pinpoint what hardware the problem lies with. I cant test the cpu without it using the ram and vice versa.

    I guess my only choice is to buy more ram and another cpu to test with :( 

    Unless anyone has any more ideas ?



    That's a rather extreme step, and ties up money. Look up reviews for different stores. Make sure to get one that had reliable rma policy. Some stores aren't very honest, and you may end up with an extra cpu. :p 
    a b à CPUs
    April 14, 2008 10:17:05 PM

    balearic said:
    1810597,2,296554 said:
    For the CPU, turn off speedstep and c1e that way it runs at 3GHz all the time.

    I had a question, my mobo is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L. How do i disable speedstep, I dont see that in my bios? Its probably listed as something else.
    said:

    Replied to this on my P35-DS3L guide. Please check there first ;) .
    a b à CPUs
    April 14, 2008 10:20:49 PM

    @OP: Check your background programs some random program might be using resources. Kill everything that is unneeded (AV**, Instant messenger,etc) and re run 3DMark about 2 more times and give us the results for the 2nd run. Also try reinstalling all drivers.

    **Make sure you disconnect the Ethernet cable just to be safe, plug it back in to view results,etc.
    April 15, 2008 4:22:02 PM

    Ok.. removed one slot of ddr3 to force to single channel and sisoft reported 1x1gig instead of 2x512mb.. strange.
    Also, the memory bandwidth of the single 1gb in single channel mode is the same as the bandwidth of dual channel.. why? - shouldnt dual chan ddr3 be double the bandwidth of single channel?

    A friend has the same spec pc except has nvideo gfx and he gets 2800 cpu marks.. now im vexxed!!! why, how?

    I have removed supremeFX sound card and disabled in bios. Disabled all non vital programs in xp but no change.

    Maybe sisoft sandra lite is wrong? But 3dmark06 cpu test surely should be better than 0.5fps and 1500 score??
    a c 126 à CPUs
    April 15, 2008 4:44:16 PM

    jonny1800 said:
    Ok.. removed one slot of ddr3 to force to single channel and sisoft reported 1x1gig instead of 2x512mb.. strange.
    Also, the memory bandwidth of the single 1gb in single channel mode is the same as the bandwidth of dual channel.. why? - shouldnt dual chan ddr3 be double the bandwidth of single channel?

    A friend has the same spec pc except has nvideo gfx and he gets 2800 cpu marks.. now im vexxed!!! why, how?

    I have removed supremeFX sound card and disabled in bios. Disabled all non vital programs in xp but no change.

    Maybe sisoft sandra lite is wrong? But 3dmark06 cpu test surely should be better than 0.5fps and 1500 score??


    Well the .5FPS a second average seems right as my quad core Q6600 @ 3GHz gets about 1FPS. Since it scales with CPU cores well it would be double what you have.

    But yea something is definately wrong.
    April 15, 2008 5:06:10 PM

    Quote:
    Its definately a E8400 bug, you should have gotten a phenom instead. :whistle: 


    Oh snap :ouch: 
    April 15, 2008 5:34:44 PM

    Id check the RAM. You mention a friends setup.....is it really exactly the same setup except for the VC? Is he using the exact same RAM? OCZ? Same timings?

    If your buddy lives close by, and is willing, Id borrow his RAM and try it. Even if it is the exact same SKU, youre using OCZ, not the most reputable brand name in high end RAM, not to mention DDR3 is still in its infancy, so you could have a bad module.
    April 15, 2008 7:33:21 PM

    Well, he is using DDR2-5300 with lower latency (5-5-5).. so this is the only thing i can think of as being the reason.

    I can only guess that the benchmark programs only use a small amount of memory bandwidth but require faster timings.. hence why benchmarks show double the score>>they are using ddr2 with faster timings.

    I have put my ocz ddr3-14400 down to 1333mhz and timings of 5-5-4-12 2.0v and the result is the same.

    Do you think that sisoft seeing the ram as 2x512mb / pc3-5300 (instead of 2x1gb / pc3-14400) means its a bug in the software?

    I cannot think why the bandwidth of a single channel 1gb ram stick is the same as dual chan 2gig... makes no sense unless the software is faulty.

    I think its time to give up?
    April 15, 2008 9:01:19 PM

    Update:

    Idle Temps:

    Rightmark CPU Clock utility:
    Core #0: 52.6C
    Core #1: 57.8C

    Core Temp 0.97.1:
    Core #0: 56C
    Core #1: 60C

    AI Suite: 50C


    Under 30seconds of Load, both cores jump at least 10C in all apps.

    I think i have a temperature problem? .. i do have a stock HSF.

    Do Intel chips reduce performance to keep temps low??
    April 15, 2008 9:05:16 PM

    I'm not an expert in this area, but I always wonder why people always turn off SpeedStep. It turns the clock back up when you put the CPU under load, doesn't it? Then again, in your case it's probably best to turn it off anyway to make sure the CPU isn't just running at 6x multiplier.
    a b à CPUs
    April 15, 2008 9:09:00 PM

    ^ Some times depending on the motherboard,CPU, OC,etc. SpeedStep can cause system instability when you use it with a OCed setup.
    April 20, 2008 12:31:35 PM

    Update:

    Ati CCC 8.4 fixed the problem.. cpu still overheating a little but a new hsf will fix that.

    Results with underclocked cpu (2.6ghz) and 1333mhz ram is:

    sm2 6957
    sm3 8119
    cpu 2973
    3dmark06 total 15317

    Will post results for normal 3ghz cpu and 1800mhz ram later/when i get hsf.
    October 16, 2008 7:10:53 PM

    Hi guys,
    I'm having the same problem as jonny1800.
    I get a constant CPU score in 3dmark06 of 2200!!

    What is wrong??

    system:
    mobo: gigabyte x38-dq6
    CPU: e8400 @ stock
    GPU: XFX GTX 260 896mb
    ram: 2x2gb corsair twin2x DDR2 800MHz
    PSU: Hiper typer-r modular 530w
    October 17, 2008 10:52:37 AM

    My multiplier was set to 8x in bios, so i changed it to 9x333=3GHz. My CPU score changed to 2567 instead......thats an improvement but not as high as it should be......
    October 18, 2008 5:00:15 AM

    carlium2000 said:
    My multiplier was set to 8x in bios, so i changed it to 9x333=3GHz. My CPU score changed to 2567 instead......thats an improvement but not as high as it should be......


    That score doesn't look too bad, probably just some background stuff running. Make sure to end all unnecessary processes before you test.
    October 23, 2008 4:59:49 PM

    Ok, I have oc my cpu to 3600 MHz (400x9) and get a score of 3021. Is that reasonable?

    And btw is there program which can be used to show ur nb temp??
    !