Sign in with
Your question

Wireless Router drops signal after a few hours

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 14, 2009 3:23:23 AM

I bought a WRT54G (v8) about a year ago. Up until a few weeks ago, it worked fine. But now, it completely drops my wireless signal after a few hours. The only way to get it working again is to physically reset the router. Once the wireless signal drops, I can't even access the router's web interface... I type in the IP address and it just comes up with a blank page (doesn't ask me for my username/password). The wired connections work perfectly fine.

Any idea what the problem could be? Anything it could be besides the router crapping out?

Also, although I have a feeling that the problem is with the hardware, any chance that putting DD-WRT could fix this problem? I tried resetting and updating the current firmware on the router, but it didn't fix anything. Any help?
Anonymous
May 14, 2009 1:27:03 PM

Check the computer's wireless adapter user interface and see if there's a power saving option -- turn it off.

Also check the router isn't overheating -- which might explain why it comes back after being turned off/reset.
May 14, 2009 7:02:32 PM

Quote:
Check the computer's wireless adapter user interface and see if there's a power saving option -- turn it off.

Also check the router isn't overheating -- which might explain why it comes back after being turned off/reset.

It isn't a problem on the computer's end since none of my computers (or my phone) work once the router drops the signal.

It might be overheating, but is there any way to fix it? It's already in a pretty open area and it shouldn't be that easy to overheat it.
Related resources
May 25, 2009 4:37:42 PM

I have the same router, with the same problem, and I installed dd-wrt. The short answer is: no improvement. So now I'm looking for a new router... :sarcastic: 
Anonymous
May 25, 2009 7:00:34 PM

Check for overtheating by playing a fan on it -- if it stays stable with fan try dismantling the unit and drilling holes in the case!!
May 25, 2009 11:46:59 PM

The other way might be place a small stand under the router, then point a small desk fan at the router perhaps.
May 26, 2009 2:13:23 PM

I had the same problem, but it got increasingly worse to the point where the signal would drop several times an hour. I spend several hours on the phone with Netgear (in India) trying to find a solution.

I replaced it with a more faster Belkin router, the problem was sorted straight away and has not recurred. Save yourself some heartache and replace it if you can.
June 25, 2012 6:09:54 AM

i know the solution or at least one of them. since my english is limited, I will copy and paste this : Common Causes of Voltage Sags or Dips

Voltage sags are generally caused by weather and utility equipment problems, which normally lead to system faults on the transmission or distribution system. For example, a fault on a parallel feeder circuit will result in a voltage drop at the substation bus that affects all of the other feeders until the fault is cleared. The same concept would apply for a fault somewhere on the transmission system. Most of the faults on the utility transmission and distribution system are single-line-to-ground (SLG) faults.

Voltage sags can also be caused by the switching of heavy loads or the starting of large motors. To illustrate, an induction motor can draw six to ten times of its full load current during starting. If the current magnitude is relatively larger than the available fault current at that point in the system, the voltage sag can become significant.

I discover that the problem with my wireless router ( and the modem too sometimes ) was what they called in english "voltage sags". when I installed in my parents home the APC (LE1200) LINE-R 1200VA Automatic VOLTAGE REGULATOR and connected the whole equipment to it, the whole problem just vanished.

in another home, we have same problem and was solve with another apc voltage regulator. I'm very surprised that I surf the web looking for somebody who know about this, and found none. that's why I decided to write this here in tom's.

if somebody read this and finally solve the problem with the wireless router or modem using the apc voltage regulator or another brand, please let us know. this is why the internet is so useful sometimes. for the record, I don't work or receive anything from APC the manufacturer of the equipment. I like the brand based in my experience with it. you can use any other brand as long is a voltage regulator.
!