Need Processor Selection Help

Coolio_alert

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
I have a Maximus Formula motherboard and am wondering which processor I should buy, It is a socket 775, i want a core 2 duo or a core 2 quad. What is more stable and best for over clocking.

Note: I am not buying a core 2 extreme that costs over $1,000!!

Please post your opinions or questions bout the system.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
If you want to overclock, i mean seriously overclock, or only care about how your benchmark score looks, get a e8400. If you want to be able to play games, and have a decent amount of programs running in the background, get a quad. On air with a decent cooler a quad can over clock to 3.2 safely. Same setup with a e8400 will get you close to or past 4 gigs.

Coolio_alert

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
I heard that it is not possible to utillize the full advantages of the quad unless you're running Windows XP (which I am). I was told the full power of the quad unless you're running Windows Vista.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I run dual boot, xp and vista, works great for me, i dont see a noticable diffrence between the 2 cept for one thing, i can play my older games on xp, cannot on vista, id like to say that will change when sp1 for vista is finally released, and not in danger of screwing up my comp, but more then likely no, but vista is pretty and gives me pretty toys to play with that xp doesnt...