EricKit2

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
I am running GPU-Z which reports 77.5 C for DISPIO temp, 89.5 for MEMIO, and 80 C for SHADERCORE. This seems very hot, is this normal for this card?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Now that you know that your temps are "OK". I hope those are load temps, no?

I still like to use Rivatuner to increase the fan speed and keep it cooler. IMO ATI/Nvidia like the fans spinning slow so they don't get any flack for noisy cards. A cooler card means a happy card.

In Riva, click on the triangle next to the word customize, then graphic of the card and click on the fan tab. There you will have the ability to set up a fan profile based on temps, so it only gets noisier when it gets hot.

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
look, all the 4870 have a bit of a problem with the fan settings. You can download and upgrade your bios but that was a bit too much of a husle for me so I just got riva tuner set up a profile. I put the fan at 30% during idle (you can't hear it) and lowered the core and mem frequencies as much as It would allow me (trough riva tuner again) which keeps my kard at a 45-50C when idle. While gaming, I put the clocks back to default and up the fan at 35% (barely audible). Believe me, it's enough! it keeps my card at 65C max while hardcore gaming. Look into it and google around a bit more.

EricKit2

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
Those are idle temperatures.

When I go to the fan speed controls and set it to enable low level fan control, I can only set the Fixed, but not the auto. How do I change the auto Duty Cycle for the individual temps, it is just greyed out. Thanks!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Apparently, they haven't gotten that worked out on the latest release version. You should be able to click on the auto button.

You will either have to go fixed and pick a speed or search the RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum to find a beta that has that fixed.

In either case you definitely need to use Riva to lower your temps the HD48xx are notorious for having the speeds set too low. Be sure to check apply fan settings at windows startup.

There are also tweaks to the CCC if you can stand to use it. I didn't try them on the HD4850 that I installed on a machine I built, I just set Riva to fixed 100%.

EricKit2

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
I've read through some of their forums, and I don't want to mess with the CCC profiles stuff. I can click the auto button, I just can't change any of the values. I'm running 2.11 and didn't see any newer Beta's. Thanks for the help!

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
When I bought my HD4870 in July I needed to manually set the fanspeed. It runs at a constant 40%, and is not audible over my case fans. It idles at 50ºC :)
Anything above 50% (on my fan at least) sounds like a nuclear jet engine. So I wouldn't do that. lol

zero3one

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
You know, I keep hearing how hot these cards run and while mine is a little warm I wouldn't say it's hot. Normally in a room about 21-31 degrees my card is 67-69 degrees. With the Catalyst 8.10 I manually set my fan to 28% and it runs at about 42-46 degrees.

Riva is nice but there is no need for it once 8.10 was released. Unless of course there are some setting on it I'm not aware of. Either way, I don't really need it since all I do is set the fan to 28%.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
^my point exactly with EVGA Precision for nvidia cards.

imo, nvidia cars=precision, ati cards=ATItool (was good with nvidia cards till new forceware drivers came out and was incompatible with it) or CCC?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I haven't looked lately to see if ATI Tool has fan speed control with the HD48XX yet, it didn't work a couple of months ago.
Try ATI Tray Tools, not to be confused with ATI Tool. Be sure to peruse their forum.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
yeah well they haven't put out a new atitool to the best of my knowledge, hence the incompatibility with the new forcewares... if it didnt work a few months ago it probably wouldnt work now!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Yeah, I think it is a little behind the times, to bad because it is easy to use. I use it for the fan control on my aging X1950.

EricKit2, As I said a haven't messed with the dynamic fan speed settings in Riva. I took the time to figure out what was going on. You need to go into power user and set the fan speeds there under RivaTuner \ Fan \ Current Device.

Right click to the right of AutoFanSpeedParams and uncheck hexadecimal display at the bottom next to the floppy icon. The temp and fan speed appear in a row alternating between each e.g., T S T S or 000 041 070 045 etc. Adjust both the temp and speed as preferred. The final result will probably not match exactly but should be within a few percent.

It is intentionally a little convoluted. If you right click on the auto fan speed area you will see this pop up. I had to take a pic because my screen cap wouldn't catch it.

34e6dd0.jpg

Be careful in the power user area, because you can screw things up.

I would only use this if you feel confident.

It's definitely easier in ATI Tray Tools if it works, and I think it does. It's under Hardware -> OCing -> Fan Tab

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
still not as many features as Precision in a nice looking GUI though! unfortunately precision doesnt have a artifact tester, but that's wat crysis bench is for right? :lol: