Sign in with
Your question

Can't run EXE files

Last response: in Windows XP
July 31, 2010 12:31:02 AM

After doing a virus scanning and removing a virus I can't open EXE files the only way I can open them it to right click and click "start". I believe some of the import system files are corrupt. When i double click an EXE file it says what program would you like to open it with.

More about : run exe files

July 31, 2010 12:33:14 AM

If you have not done so yet, try downloading Ccleaner from the following link, then run the Registry tool to see if theres anything wrong in your registry.

Link:

www.download.com/ccleaner
m
l
July 31, 2010 12:53:12 AM

Do you think a windows xp repair would work?
m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2010 4:51:26 PM

It very well might help. Just make sure you do a REPAIR and not a RESTORE. Theres a HUGE difference between the two :p 
m
l
August 2, 2010 5:03:33 PM

joedood said:
After doing a virus scanning and removing a virus I can't open EXE files the only way I can open them it to right click and click "start". I believe some of the import system files are corrupt. When i double click an EXE file it says what program would you like to open it with.

Go to http://www.dougknox.com and follow the links to XP Tips then XP Fixes and find Doug's .exe file fix. Download it and click on the file - it's quite safe and will make the Registry changes necessary. Once fixed, you need to find out what caused it - probably malware so run all the scanners you have.

m
l
!