Sign in with
Your question

e2160 or e4500 or q6600 ... Help

Last response: in CPUs
April 15, 2008 3:24:59 AM

im upgrading from a p4 2.8 northwood to a new pc with a dg33 chipset.
im confused about which processor to get between the e2160,e4500 or q6600. have a few questions to ask.

1- everything i use is not cpu intensive.. movies, casual gaming music, surfing etc... will i see a HUGE diff in performance between the e2160/e4500 and q6600? my games include stuff like warcraft, cs etc... also in little multitasking.
2-the q6600 seems to be the best choice for me, cuz i want to keep my comp future proof, but is it worth the extra money considering im NOT gonna be doing any heavy gaming, video encoding blah blah.
3- i will not be overclocking at all.

if the difference in performance between the e2160/e4500 and the q6600 is large enough, and if the q6600 will be future proof, and worth the extra money, then ill get it. otherwise, will the dualcore's be able to last me for atleast 2-3 years?

More about : e2160 e4500 q6600

April 15, 2008 3:37:55 AM

Get the E2160 and the DS3L Mobo combo.
That sounds like all that you really need.

Save the money for a future upgade.
In 18 Months, Intel's true next gen chips will be running around and will make anything you buy today look silly.

Now, if you needed the power today I would say spend more and get more. But since you don't need it, don't over buy.
April 15, 2008 3:42:00 AM

zenmaster said:
Get the E2160 and the DS3L Mobo combo.
That sounds like all that you really need.

Save the money for a future upgade.
In 18 Months, Intel's true next gen chips will be running around and will make anything you buy today look silly.

Now, if you needed the power today I would say spend more and get more. But since you don't need it, don't over buy.

Agreed, you will be more than happy with a e2160 from your current P4. Take the girlfriend out to dinner with the extra cash you save.
Related resources
April 15, 2008 3:46:36 AM

e... dual core will be good for now. you will feel the performance gain, but in 1 year plan on picking up a quad core. buying it later you will save the immediate expense and will likely get a quad for half the current price. land a superior cooling device now so that you don't need a better one later, or ever have to worry about it.
April 15, 2008 3:55:17 AM

thanks for replies. i wont get the quadcore now. prob after 2 years. should i pick up the e4500 cuz of the extra l2 cache?
April 15, 2008 3:57:58 AM

Well, honestly, if your not going to overclock, then I say q6600

Why arnt you overclocking? I have a e2180, But i have it overclocked to be as fast as processers costing 3x as much as this one did.
April 15, 2008 4:02:27 AM

For an extra $7 you could get the e2180 and although it's not that much different it'll take you a little further because it has a multiplier of 10 instead of 9, so you might get a little more performance and longevity out of it. It's not that big of a difference but for $7 what the hell, why not.

To back up my forum colleagues I can tell you that dual core CPU's usually produce very similar results for most games when compared to a quad core. 3DMark, Video conversion, and number crunching scenarios are where quads will shine but if you don't do those on a daily basis then a dual core is just as good.
April 15, 2008 4:04:46 AM

I missed the part about not wanting to OC.

It's really safe and something you can do to reasonable levels w/o any risk to your hardware.

I've actually OC'd my main system about 66% AND CUT Voltage.
So it's both quite fast and cool.

Now, I could OC it more, but then it warms up since I can't go much higher while cutting voltage.
April 15, 2008 4:07:27 AM

chookman said:
Agreed, you will be more than happy with a e2160 from your current P4. Take the girlfriend out to dinner with the extra cash you save.

I agree aswell. If you do mass mapping, or run many CPU intensive applications at once, then it's probably a good idea to get a very fast processor. If all you do is play FPS's and surf the web, then that's a different story.

Chookman you stole my excuse for not spending $$$$$ on computers. lol.
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2008 4:11:32 AM

For 50.00 more and no overclocking, definitely not. Not much performance difference between the two at stock speeds.

If you are interested in spending a little more, you could go with the AMD 5000+ X2 Black Edition. Its much faster than either of those two chips even at stock speeds. Later if you wanted more out of your system and wanted to overclock to keep from buying a new cpu/mobo then you will get a lot more performance from it then too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and this cooler:

Id go with this board, its cheap and if you want to go Quad Core later you can drop one in:

This is a great and cost effective option to consider and its a fast setup.

And no guys, Im not a fanboy. I have an Intel Q6600 for my primary setup. I use both and will buy whatever suits the needs for what I want to do with it. I have 2 Intel and 2 AMD systems in use right now...
April 15, 2008 4:21:48 AM

thanks for repiles again.
i dont think ill be getting the AMD cuz i already got the chipset.
so the e2160 is the best option? ive never overclocked before, but if u all say so, i might give it a try. the only cpu intensive programme i use is dreamscene in vista ultimate. will the cpu be able to handle dreamscene and multitask at the same time? 2 gig of ram with a 8500/8600gt
also if im looking into the future, would the e4500 be a better buy cuz of the greater l2 cache?
might as well make the girl happy :D 
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2008 4:25:07 AM

Truthfully i wouldnt even get any of those cpus, or any new cpu for that matter. For the stuff you do that old P4 is actually fine. It is also a northwood so it not a space a heater either. If anything a video card upgrade is what I would do.

To answer your ? you wont see a HUGE difference in anything that you stated. Even in multitasking. If you are just running those things you stated it will multitask just fine. If something isnt even putting a moderate load on the cpu the improvement isnt that great at all.
a c 127 à CPUs
April 15, 2008 4:32:13 AM

Ok 2-3 years is what 2010/2011. A quad core will last longer. Getting a Q6600 G0 and you can OC it to 3GHz easily, like I did, and it will last you that long.

The e2160 is a great CPU but 2-3 years may be a stretch.

I suggest you look at what you plan on doing for those 2-3 years and decide based on that. At 3GHz a Q6600 will do you very well, trust me. Heck TF2 uses all four of my cores. My G15 lets me see CPU/Memory usage no matter what I am doing and I have seen it fluxuating all 4 cores when all I am doing is the game. Manily Coer1 and Core 4, where as Cor2 and Core3 get about half the usage but till.

In the end, I decided on a Q6600 for me for 2-3 years cuz it just seems like the right decision. Make sure you are happy with what you get.
April 15, 2008 4:45:02 AM

doomsdaydave11 said:
Chookman you stole my excuse for not spending $$$$$ on computers. lol.

Well it usually comes with better benefits than a bigger epeen with the quad core.
April 15, 2008 6:07:01 AM

still confused on the quad or the core2duo lol. btw- when will we see 1000$-1500$ quad notebooks.... 6months or more???
April 15, 2008 6:25:13 AM

kookitan said:
still confused on the quad or the core2duo lol. btw- when will we see 1000$-1500$ quad notebooks.... 6months or more???

Quad core notebooks in six months? Probably...But they'll be double the price you posted.

Core 2 Extreme QX9300
2533 MHz
2 × 6144 L2 Cache
1066 FSB
9.5 multiplier
45 W TDP
Socket P (possible but not confirmed)
September 2008 (probable paper release date)
$1,038 US OEM Price (Retail Price, add 25%)
April 15, 2008 8:01:26 AM

ok im picking up my cpu now. deciding on the e4500. seems like a good choice? hope i dont regret the q6600's performance. the e4500 should handle everything i do right? at max, multitasking a game with music and browsing with dream scene on?
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2008 2:02:06 PM

kookitan said:
ok im picking up my cpu now. deciding on the e4500. seems like a good choice? hope i dont regret the q6600's performance. the e4500 should handle everything i do right? at max, multitasking a game with music and browsing with dream scene on?

Me , personally the Q6600

Overclock it to 3GHz and give me the rest of the money so i can put it on a tab at my local.., Then go down the pub and talk about old times...

Reminissing on games such as Boulderdash and Mission Impossible...
April 21, 2008 5:51:59 PM

I agree with Someguy7. I would buy to aleast give you 3gig of RAM for Vista if your going to run it. otherwise 2 gig ram for xp should be good. Then put your saved money into a Nice Video Card and Nice monitor. Because Honestly thats the only BIG difference your going to notice. Ram And Video card! Hands down. You might notice a slight difference in Windows speed upgrading CPU prob. because you might do a fresh install of windows.:)  RAM's the key to faster multitasking that you'll notice and video card for the odd games. If you arn't happy with that upgrade you can flame me all night long.:) 
April 21, 2008 6:46:13 PM

You should wait & get the E7200...That should be a good upgrade with 45nm technology...I wonder will Intel release a low cost Quad lower than Q9300 ? Maybe with 3-4MB cache..
!