Sign in with
Your question

Big problem with new build :( Please help!

Last response: in Systems
March 18, 2008 6:44:31 AM

I got about 1/4 of the way through putting my first build together when I hit a major snag. It happened after I installed the CPU and started to install the heatsink. First of all, my board is a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P. The heatsink is a Thermalright Ultima-90.

So I went to fit the backplate of the heatsink onto the back of the board, as per the instructions. However, one side of the backplate was sitting higher than the other side. I couldn't get it to sit flush against the board. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that a row of "pins" sticking out of the back of the motherboard was keeping the backplate from inserting properly.

Pictures can explain it better.

These pins on the motherboard,

are hitting one of the "pads" on the backplate,

and keeping it from sitting against the board.

You can see how the pillar to the right of the pins won't go through the board. If the pins were a millimeter or two to the right, everything would be fine.

As far as I can tell, this is a major problem for me and anyone else who buys this combination of mobo/heatsink. At the same time, I'm certain I've seen people with this combo, and I never read about any problems like this. But I don't see how I can possibly install this heatsink. Unless I can somehow "snip" off the offending pins. Otherwise, the heatsink will be slightly lopsided and pressing against those pins...

As I said, this is my first build, so if anyone can pleeeaase help me out I'd appreciate it. This really has me frustrated. I've been preparing for months to build this thing, and these bloody pins stop me dead in my tracks. :pfff: 

More about : big problem build

March 18, 2008 7:57:00 AM

Be careful if the pad is touching one ore more pin as it will cause short circuit
If it was me I'll change one of the two , possibly heatsink
There might be another safe solution to use insulating sheat between the pad and sink
But you have to be carefull that the pins are not sharp and penetrating the insulating sheet
and you have to live with the heatsink twisted but it will not affect cooling as long as the sink is touching the processor perfectly
One thing more make sure you are installing heatsink properly as this seems odd
Good notice man
March 18, 2008 8:02:59 AM

You might be able to put in hollow stand-offs, to effectively pull the backplate away from the bottom of the motherboard. I'm not sure this is the best option, but it's something to consider. I would double check that your installing the backplate on right. I would think that maybe your off by 90 degrees, so I'd rotate the backplate by that much and see if you are just installing it incorrectly or not.
Related resources
March 18, 2008 8:07:47 AM

Another option is to go to your local hardware store, and pick up a pack of PLASTIC washers (could also use small rubber O-Rings)
March 18, 2008 8:46:30 AM

Might need longer screws, though, so you would have to consider that too. Only problem I'd see with rubber washers is that they give too much and probably wouldn't hold their shape too well. Plastic washers sound like a good plan though. :) 
March 18, 2008 9:53:10 AM

You can trim those leads off down to the solder. I don't know that I would want to do it though. You could break the solder connections unless you had high quality diagonal cutters and were careful. Additionally, it isn't clear that even with trimming you wouldn't still have a potential shorting problem, which would be catastrophic. I would see if the backplate could be rotated 90 degrees and clear the capacitor leads or research it and get one with a back plate that would clear the leads.

I'm pretty sure the Ultra120 backplate would clear. Maybe Thermalright would send you one.
March 18, 2008 11:31:59 AM

Excellent photography.
March 18, 2008 5:27:02 PM

Ok, I got it! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. :wahoo:  I tried lunyone's advice and rotated it 90 degrees, even though the instructions clearly show the other orientation. Well, it worked anyway. No need for clipping pins, longer screws, etc. But I have to say, getting that damn backplate on was insanely difficult. I accidentally touched the motherboard a few times. I hope I didn't fry anything. Hopefully my anti-static wrist strap paid off.

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how the rest of it goes.

March 19, 2008 1:16:39 AM

YVW, glad we all could help you out. Sometimes manuals don't always paint the picture correctly for all situations. Your pictures were very good and very accurate. :) 
March 19, 2008 1:52:32 AM

Always use the standoff pins they supply with the board, and you wont have a problem, if your case doesnt allow you too, then buy a new case...
March 19, 2008 2:03:22 AM

blacksci said:
Always use the standoff pins they supply with the board, and you wont have a problem, if your case doesnt allow you too, then buy a new case...
Did you even read the thread and uh... look at the pictures? Your advice does not relate to the opening post in any way whatsoever. Don't believe me, read it again for the very first time.
March 19, 2008 3:02:15 AM

Wow i read it wrong, my bad, oh well still good advice.
March 19, 2008 3:25:38 AM

True that, with no standoffs you can guaranty serious problems.
!