SATA DVD writers read but won't write

jaquestraw

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I've just replaced a failing IDE type DVD/CD writer with a SATA writer and it is reading CD's & DVD's properly but not burning either. I've tried two different brands of burners (1st an LG and now a Samsung SH-S223Q with FW-SB03) so I don't think it is a problem with the drives and a few different brands of blank media. I've gone through the BIOS and the SATA ports are activated. In the device mgr under the NVIDIA nFoce4 ADMA controller under the primary channel tab it shows the transfer mode as serial ATA generation 1-1.5G. My HDD's are SATA in RAID 0 and work fine. BTW the SATA port that the burner is plugged in to does not have RAID activated. I'm stumped, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jack

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
can you try the built in windows one? that version came out way before your sata burner maybe its just the software

alternatively try new version of nero if available.

jaquestraw

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006

It's checked. Going to try a different cable and port.

jaquestraw

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006

I believe you are mistaken.

mbscomp

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008

As a oem reseller this is a issue that I have seen numerous times. The SATA 1 spec does not support optical drives. SATA optical drives did not appear on the market until SATA II was released.

jaquestraw

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006

The MOBO is a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D which uses an Nvidia controller and driver. I'm sure that the driver is not the latest release but I am wary of updating it because my HDD's are SATA (Gen 2 3G by the way, as shown in the device mgr) in RAID 0. The BIOS shows all 4 SATA ports enabled, 1&2 RAID enabled, 3&4 RAID is disabled.

jaquestraw

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006

The transfer mode in the controller properties shows SATA Gen 1-1.5 G because the burst transfer rate of the optical drive is 1.5 G. The MOBO is 2nd gen capable. Transfer mode for my HDD's is SATA Gen 2-3G.

That is what I was getting at. The SATA ports on the board are SATA II, which IS supporting the opticals.

blue alien

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
pls read your mobo manual... my mobo has this
notice: do not fold SATA cable into 90-degree angle.
otherwise loss of data may occur during transmission.

so, check your cable.

-blue alien

Lol, congratulations on your first post dude.

blue alien

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

Not intentionally folding it perhaps hehehe
obstructions may fold the cable
I'm kinda justifying here... :D

anyways, at least i made you laugh?

(but really it was a notice on my MSI mobo manual)