SATA DVD writers read but won't write

I've just replaced a failing IDE type DVD/CD writer with a SATA writer and it is reading CD's & DVD's properly but not burning either. I've tried two different brands of burners (1st an LG and now a Samsung SH-S223Q with FW-SB03) so I don't think it is a problem with the drives and a few different brands of blank media. I've gone through the BIOS and the SATA ports are activated. In the device mgr under the NVIDIA nFoce4 ADMA controller under the primary channel tab it shows the transfer mode as serial ATA generation 1-1.5G. My HDD's are SATA in RAID 0 and work fine. BTW the SATA port that the burner is plugged in to does not have RAID activated. I'm stumped, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jack
24 answers Last reply
More about sata writers read write
  1. bump
  2. what program are you using to burn?

    what errors do you get?
  3. Communication failure.
    I'm using an older version of Nero (6).
  4. can you try the built in windows one? that version came out way before your sata burner maybe its just the software

    alternatively try new version of nero if available.
  5. yea try a free burning program like finalburn just to see if it is nero 6 is causing the issue. i mean i don't think that version would even have support for SATA drives
  6. I just installed and tried burning with Nero 8 and still no luck.
  7. hmmm.....maybe try another SATA cable?

    is the burner on a separate SATA controller from your RAID? maybe the RAID is active too much interrupting the burner.
  8. my computer-->right click on drive-->properties-->recording tab-->make sure box is checked to enable recording.
  9. aford10 said:
    my computer-->right click on drive-->properties-->recording tab-->make sure box is checked to enable recording.


    It's checked. Going to try a different cable and port.
  10. SATA 1 does not properly support Optical drives. SATA 2 is required for full Optical support
  11. mbscomp said:
    SATA 1 does not properly support Optical drives. SATA 2 is required for full Optical support


    I believe you are mistaken.
  12. there was alot of problems with sata burners and chipsets for the first 6monthes or so after they were available.

    it is possible.
  13. jaquestraw said:
    I believe you are mistaken.


    As a oem reseller this is a issue that I have seen numerous times. The SATA 1 spec does not support optical drives. SATA optical drives did not appear on the market until SATA II was released.
  14. what motherboard are you using?
    +1 @ mbscomp
    It does sound like an interface issue. Though, SATA 1 obviously supports the opticals because they do play dvd's. It's just not burning.
  15. aford10 said:
    what motherboard are you using?
    +1 @ mbscomp
    It does sound like an interface issue. Though, SATA 1 obviously supports the opticals because they do play dvd's. It's just not burning.


    The MOBO is a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D which uses an Nvidia controller and driver. I'm sure that the driver is not the latest release but I am wary of updating it because my HDD's are SATA (Gen 2 3G by the way, as shown in the device mgr) in RAID 0. The BIOS shows all 4 SATA ports enabled, 1&2 RAID enabled, 3&4 RAID is disabled.
  16. mbscomp said:
    As a oem reseller this is a issue that I have seen numerous times. The SATA 1 spec does not support optical drives. SATA optical drives did not appear on the market until SATA II was released.


    The transfer mode in the controller properties shows SATA Gen 1-1.5 G because the burst transfer rate of the optical drive is 1.5 G. The MOBO is 2nd gen capable. Transfer mode for my HDD's is SATA Gen 2-3G.
  17. jaquestraw said:
    The MOBO is a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D which uses an Nvidia controller and driver. I'm sure that the driver is not the latest release but I am wary of updating it because my HDD's are SATA (Gen 2 3G by the way, as shown in the device mgr) in RAID 0. The BIOS shows all 4 SATA ports enabled, 1&2 RAID enabled, 3&4 RAID is disabled.


    That is what I was getting at. The SATA ports on the board are SATA II, which IS supporting the opticals.
  18. why would there be issues with burners on SATA 1 in the first place? SATA 1 is a faster than IDE
  19. It's not always about speed. There is usually bugs that have to be worked out when new technology comes out.
  20. pls read your mobo manual... my mobo has this
    notice: do not fold SATA cable into 90-degree angle.
    otherwise loss of data may occur during transmission.

    so, check your cable.


    -blue alien
  21. Why would anyone fold their SATA cable?
  22. Thanks, cable is not folded.
  23. blue alien said:
    pls read your mobo manual... my mobo has this
    notice: do not fold SATA cable into 90-degree angle.
    otherwise loss of data may occur during transmission.

    so, check your cable.


    -blue alien


    Lol, congratulations on your first post dude.
  24. aford10 said:
    Lol, congratulations on your first post dude.



    Not intentionally folding it perhaps hehehe
    obstructions may fold the cable
    I'm kinda justifying here... :D

    anyways, at least i made you laugh?

    (but really it was a notice on my MSI mobo manual)
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Writers SATA Burner CD-Rom DVD Storage