Can i install vista to an external hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

apinney

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Windows will not boot. Can I install vista on an external hd, copy my old hd to the external hd (minus bad vista), then format the old hd and copy everything back? If that will not work, can I plug in a new internal hd and do the same thing? (I can't see how it would not work on one but not the other, but that's why I'm asking the questions.)

Obviously you have a CD to install, why not just repair-install the current hard drive, unless of course the reason for no boot is a hard drive error to begin with.

apinney

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Windows will not boot. I wanted to install vista on another drive, then copy what I wanted from the old drive over and just use the old one for a backup. I was not backing up before, but will make sure I do from this point on.

I got a new internal hd and installed vista there. I also plugged in my old drive, but it says access is denied. It does not show my cd/dvd drive in sata2 either (I moved it from 1 to 2; is that a problem?)

So now I have a working copy of vista, my virus protection, and web browser, but that is all. How do I get my pictures, msoffice, music, games, etc from the old drive to the new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.