Q6600 safe temps/temp differences/coretemp vs. speedfan

wheremyarm

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
So right now I've got my Q6600 running at 3.15ghz with the stock voltage, which I think is a decently successful overclock for leaving the voltage alone. I've run Orthos for 2 hours so far, and it's stable, but I am planning on running it through the night tonight.

My question is about the temperature readings I get from SpeedFan vs. the temperature readings I get from Core Temp. They're a full 15C off, SF being the lower. My highest CT reading under 100% load is 62C after 2 hours, and in SF it'll read 47C! Idle is 35C vs. 20C. (Also, my chip for some reason always has 2 cores 5-7C above the other two, so I'm giving you the highest reading. The lowest I've seen in CT is 27C and SF is 12C.) And just to be clear, I am comparing the core temps that CT gives to the temps that SF is getting from the "INTEL CORE" chip. How are they so off, which one should I trust, and what really is a safe temperature for this chip to be running at?

(As for that last part, I have read around that generally you should keep it 60 and under. But I am curious what the "100C Tj. Max" that CT gives me really means, and if CT is the one that's off, if I can push my voltage up and get that 3.4 or 3.6ghz I was looking for.)

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
SpeedFan has a known problem with quads and temps. Add 15 degrees and its right. I also have 2 cores almost always 5-7 degrees warmer.

wheremyarm

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008

Darn, I was holding out hope that SpeedFan was right so I could push it further. :( I guess I'll have to get a different cooler before I can get any more speed out of it.

mrmez

Splendid
Common sense prevails here.
My room temp is ~22-25c
Id consider that about normal to warmish.

Your CPU will NEVER be cooler than room temp. If u know how to make that happen u wont have SF questions.

SF has known issues, the beta 4.3.4? has fixed that, but its not really available.

My Q6600 on water runs ambient +10c idle or +20c load.
Thats with 1 120mm rad and fan on ~800RPM
Its considered an undersized water sys for a quad, but they are quality parts and ive put o lot of work into airflow and design to the point i can run 100% cpu and gfx day and night and its still quiet enuf to leave on when i sleep.