Is is possible for technicians the usage of riva tuner on a card?

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I know, it sounds like a dumb question, or not!
This is a continuation of my previous post http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/249380-15-problems-7900-cards

I want to RMA de card, but now im afraid they wont replace it because of two things:

1-I once used riva tuner to lower the clocks when the artifacting started, and then i did the reverse, overclocked it even more (a little beyond te original clocks) and check how it did go..needless to say the graphics were a total mess beyond that, but when the original clocks were restored, the card would get back to its original state of f#cked_up_mode, with collored dots and artifacting, specially on clive barkers Jericho.

2-This XFX 7900GT card came with a bios bug, that made the fan rotating always at 100%, even if in idle mode, so i upgraded the bios to a better version from xfx that fixed the problem. ( http://www.bjorn3d.com/pafile/index.php?act=view&id=46 )

SO, my questions are, is it possible for technicians from xfx to detect the usage of a overclocking software even if there is no phisical damage on the card?
Second, do you think my warranty will be voided if they find out this isnt the original bios that came with the card, even if it is XFX made? If i put the original bios back, is it detectable that bios were replaced once?

Please give a hint here, and thanks in advance.

PS: GODDAMN THIS CRAP, the title is all f#cked up and i cant correct it, because when i want to edit my own thread, i get the message "you're not allowed to edit this message"
What the hell is up with this tomshadware people? ffs.
Im only able to edit this through Quick Edit..What up with this?...

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
No, they will not know that you used rivatuner. The changes you made the BIOS they will recognize as that is a permanent change stored on the video card, rivatuner is not stored on the card.

Rivatuner is OK but the BIOS mod you did they will know about it. In some cases even if you re flashed the BIOS they might be able to detect it, but I doubt they will go for that trouble. It is cheaper for them to give yo a replacement out right than to figure out if you did some BIOS mod. But, if you did any other mods, ie. RAM heatsinks, vmods,etc then you might have voided the warranty.

As mentioned, no to Rivatuner, but the BIOS they may detect even if changed back (what does their diagnostic tools say as 'last modified' date, etc.

As for editing, quick edit doesn't edit titles, you need full edit (the button beside it), no need to get all worked up. :kaola:

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007

Yes i know that, but i am having this problem: i cant use full edit, never ever, only quick edit works..
Maybe something is wrong with my account but this didnt happened before....

Latest posts