Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Question in Regards to MATLAB

Last response: in Storage
May 2, 2009 11:31:41 PM

I am currently researching a system mainly for computer programming with MATLAB. I was wondering if it would be worth it to add a RAID array of SSD's, or if a WD640AALS will suffice. If anyone has any experience with MATLAB I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

The rest of the system specifications aren't finalized, but will include an i7 and 6 gigs of RAM.
a b G Storage
May 2, 2009 11:39:56 PM

From my experience with MATLAB, hard drive speed is not as critical as memory speed. I would recommend an i7 if you can afford it, as my i7 is around twice as fast as my friend's Q9550@3.73 GHz in many matlab programs, even though the core speed alone would not explain that difference. It seems (from what I can tell) that you want high bandwidth, low latency memory as a first priority for MATLAB.
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 3, 2009 12:14:14 AM

That'll work perfectly. 6GB is fine, the speed is what will help the most.

As for hard drives, it is always nice to have a fast hard drive for general system responsiveness. I don't think it'll help MATLAB code speed very much, but it is still nice to have. Of course, it is up to you to determine whether it is worth the cost to you.
May 3, 2009 12:24:27 AM

Thank you very much for all your help, I'll have to ask my customer if it is worth it to them or not. Thanks again. I'll post the full system specs when I get them in a new thread.
!