Corrupted MFT, need to chkdsk /f without windows

jaylil

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
My 320GB WD Mybook external drive which I had formatted in NTFS stopped working overnight. I noticed this when I went to retrieve an iso from it, trying to get into it caused explorer to stop responding. After trying it with three other machines(XP laptop, Win7, Vista) they BSOD as soon as I plug it in or if they boot up with it plugged in.

Hoping it was the USB controller and not the drive that was bad, I opened up the enclosure and now have it connected by SATA. I confirmed that the MFT was the problem and I think a chkdsk would fix it, but I can't have it connected to any windows OS because of the blue screen issue.

I need a way to run chkdsk or something similar without the involvement of windows.

I've searched around and tried things all day and have not found anything so far. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

specialk90

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
How did you confirm the MFT is the problem? It seems odd that this could be the problem with no user interaction overnight. Are you sure its not a virus/malware?

You can enter DOS and run chkdsk. One way is downloading WD's Data lifeguard DOS and make a CD and boot into that.

jaylil

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
I confirmed it was the MFT with an Ubuntu livecd, it stated that as it's reason it couldn't connect to it.

Any way, I got the "Data Lifeguard Tools 11.2 for DOS (CD)", it boots fine but there is only the option to run data lifeguard (a GUI tool with no option to fix an mft) and to make a bootable floppy, which I don't have.