HKMG Partnership missing AMD

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/04/14/ibm_finds_more_performance_and_less_power_in_32_nm_chips_/

IBM said that High-K Metal Gate (HKMG) has been integrated into the 32 nm production process at its 300 mm semiconductor fabrication facility in East Fishkill, New York. With first silicon on hand, the company and its partners Chartered, Freescale, Infineon, Samsung, STMicroelectronics and Toshiba ...

No AMD ??

Odd.

Note the ref to SOI at the end but this is nevertheless not a good sign for the little battler.

Intel already have this in their 45nm process ...

I would have thought AMD would have been part of this partnership.

So what gives?

Whats gives...... AMD's name may be on that list of people but they may not do anything when it comes to the research and development. Especially in their current condidtion where its more important to get sales so they let the other companies do the work and then pay what they need to use it.

This is especially true since IBM usually works on a lot of technologies that AMD uses.

This doesn't mean AMD wont have it but it almost seems like they will have to wait till 32nm till they can say they have HKMG instead of a second generation 45nm Phenom.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
From what I have read, HKMG will be in the second generation 45nm parts. I doubt that has changed. The linked article is just lots of speculation.

Unfortunately, I'm a little concerned about the first 45nm parts which will lack HKMG.

No need to worry. We need some space heaters every now and then.

We have no idea whats going on. 45nm HKMG, not sure. But having SOI first still does concern me as well.

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Yes, that leech amd. Needs to take out a loan for r&d. Maybe at crazy eddie's financial institutions. Good credit? Bad credit? No credit? You're pre-approved!