damaged E2160? safe to test?

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Hey i have a new gigabyte EX38-DS4 motherboard, and all new parts for a build... I have this E2160 that may be damaged, but I'm not sure... is it safe to try it out without risking damage to my motherboard?

One of the pin contacts on the cpu has a mark on it (looks like a dark pen mark)... I'm not sure what it is, but it could be a scratch or something... If I install it, it won't ruin my motherboard right?? please let me know, I would like to build my system ASAP without dealing with Intels warranty, and need to know if I should just go and purchase a new cpu.

Thanks!

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I would imagine there is no direct way to work out if it will damage your motherboard or not.
Can you return the CPU for a new one? I say that because it sounds like you're building a new system, so I assumed the CPU was new as well.
I would imagine it wouldn't do any harm, but there is no gaurantee either way I'm afraid!

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
well I can return it straight to intel, not from the store I purchased it... Intel will allow me to exchange it but they said it can take a MINIMUM of 4-6 weeks!!! I'd rather just go out and buy a new processor, i only payed 50 dollars for this thing!

well my motherboard was purchased from a local store and is still within their return policy, so I'll give the rubbing alcohol cleaning a try, and install it... hopefully it works... and hopefully it won't ruin my board... otherwise new CPU/and maybe motherboard, all tomorrow! :\

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
ok just to update... i used a Qtip with rubbing alocohol (70% isopropyl) on the area that had the spot... everything cleared up almost instantly!!! I installed the cpu, and put all of my parts together and everything runs great! (for now, last time everything died in 2 days)

anyway thanks for the help and suggestions! hopefully this thing wont die on me again (probably was the mobo the first time)

Now, off to the OC section to figure out how to OC this bad boy! :)