Boot slower after vista sp1

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computer
  • Boot
  • Windows Vista
Last response: in CPUs
April 15, 2008 2:47:36 PM

After I went to SP1 due to the advice of people on this forum...my computer start up time is a noticeable 20 seconds slower...

Before when I put my password into vista my aim, msn, and gagets loaded instantly now they take about 20 seconds to pop up...whats going on here?

More about : boot slower vista sp1

a c 127 à CPUs
April 15, 2008 3:11:08 PM

Yea something has gone wrong with your install. I installed SP1 once it came out and everything loads up just as fast if not faster. Heck I can open TF2 about 10 seconds after loading Vista and it takes 5 seconds to load it to the main screen. I would uninstall SP1 and try reinstalling it.
April 15, 2008 3:54:28 PM

On some machines it makes the boot up slower.....Joy.....the benefits of windows vista.....or not......
Related resources
April 15, 2008 3:55:49 PM

Get a new fixed disk.
April 15, 2008 4:15:44 PM

Jam I had the same problem as you after installing SP1. I went from having a fast computer to being almost at a stand still. I E-mailed Microsoft about the problem. The first soulution they gave me killed my pc. I got it back up and running and let them know that there solution didn'y work. To make a long story short I finally removed it after trying 4 or 5 different things microsoft told me to do. My PC runs great again. Google problems with Vista SP1 and you will see that a lot of people had the same problem(s). I was really disappointed with this update. I want to try and reinstall it but dont feel like going through all of the hassles again.
April 15, 2008 4:19:11 PM

how long has it been since you installed SP1? because the installation wipes clean your preferences, so auto fetch or whatever-its-called wont load your apps as fast and it has to build up its store of preferences again
April 15, 2008 4:54:12 PM

its been about 3 days
April 15, 2008 4:55:12 PM

would you be willing to live with it?
a c 127 à CPUs
April 15, 2008 5:02:08 PM

Just to cut to the chase before ZeOldDude gets here: Vista is a memory hog. It takes 4GB just to run Vista and only takes 1GB to run my 1000 programs on XP. Vista is horrible.

Or at least thats the kind of FUD he has been saying.

Either way give it a few more days of use, heck even restart it a few times a day so Vista can start to get used to the programs you run on a daily basis.

I don't have that problem at all. Everything I normally run runs very fast for me.
April 15, 2008 5:37:23 PM

spuddyt said:
how long has it been since you installed SP1? because the installation wipes clean your preferences, so auto fetch or whatever-its-called wont load your apps as fast and it has to build up its store of preferences again

I think Spuddy has it right. You need to go through and reset all your preferences, etc. SP1 mainly just complies all the updates that were already out and fixes a couple other bugs. It shouldn't slow down the computer any worse than before. I installed it last week and my computer runs fine, perhaps better than before.
April 15, 2008 6:08:47 PM

My boot times seem to be a little faster with SP1. Also, I noticed my wireless connection starts up WAY faster. I'm very please thus far with 32-bit Vista SP1.
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2008 6:08:52 PM

Yeah, my SP1 machine's sped up since the install and I do think it's a definite improvement, albeit in a million tiny ways!
a c 251 à CPUs
April 15, 2008 6:27:19 PM

How it feels is a subjective thing. Here's some observations based upon actual benchmarks.

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2008/03/25/windows_vista_s...
"So, Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is here and the results kind of speak for themselves. In some scenarios, there are performance improvements, but in others there is actually a performance drop – that’s something we weren’t expecting to see to be honest."

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14463/6
"Somewhat fittingly, Service Pack 1 very much mirrors Windows Vista itself in the way it delivers (or fails to deliver) on users' expectations. If you were looking for across-the-board system performance improvements or major new features, prepare to be disappointed. Our benchmarks suggest SP1 does significantly speed file manipulations, and we confirmed those results with our seat-of-the-pants tests while copying and deleting local files during everyday usage. However, like Vista, most of the service pack's improvements are under the hood and probably won't be immediately obvious to the average user."

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9871317-1.html
"we saw a mixed bag of results: we saw a few notable performance improvements under some conditions as well as significant performance degradations in others. For the most part, however, we saw little difference in performance between Vista and the Vista SP1 update".
April 15, 2008 7:20:35 PM

I timed my bootup before and after installing SP1 on 64-bit Vista and actually saw a small decrease in my boot time. If memory serves me correct, it was about 2 or 3 seconds.
a c 251 à CPUs
April 16, 2008 11:44:33 AM

I'm not quite sure how to measure boot time as after it's done booting Supefetch is still loading things for another 45 seconds or so.
April 16, 2008 12:33:11 PM

I used to have an issue with Vista where the wireless would take so long to start up that all the programs that wanted to use the internet connection would throw up errors and give up. Now (after SP1) the wireless connection starts up right away.

The only other major issue I had with Vista was that IE7 would constantly crash. However, after reinstalling Vista I no longer have the problem (for now...).
a c 127 à CPUs
April 16, 2008 3:50:06 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
I used to have an issue with Vista where the wireless would take so long to start up that all the programs that wanted to use the internet connection would throw up errors and give up. Now (after SP1) the wireless connection starts up right away.

The only other major issue I had with Vista was that IE7 would constantly crash. However, after reinstalling Vista I no longer have the problem (for now...).

Weird. I never had IE7 crash on me once. I did have ATI driver issues for a while but thats ATI's bad not Vistas.

I love Vista. I just hope the next few updates improve it more.

On another slightly the same topic, anyone have any idea what happened to WinFS? I was excited but its gone.
April 16, 2008 5:28:32 PM

jimmysmitty said:
On another slightly the same topic, anyone have any idea what happened to WinFS? I was excited but its gone.

This is the last I heard:

Quote:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winfs_preview.asp

When it's finalized, WinFS will be delivered as an out-of-band update for Windows XP and Windows Vista, in the same way that the .NET Framework is delivered today. And while Microsoft hasn't finalized licensing, WinFS will almost certainly be free. Also, WinFS will probably be included in Longhorn Server, though it could be delivered as an add-on for that system as well.

Finally, WinFS is only a codename. The technology will likely be rebranded as Windows Storage Foundation before it's released.

April 17, 2008 3:21:25 PM

OK after about a week the startup is now actually faster than it was before...so if anyone has this problem just wait it out!
a c 127 à CPUs
April 17, 2008 3:32:15 PM

jampack714 said:
OK after about a week the startup is now actually faster than it was before...so if anyone has this problem just wait it out!

Told ya. Glad its being speedy for ya.
April 17, 2008 6:56:07 PM

good resolve, vista SP1 has overall been a positive thing.

i know i got another 40fps in CS:S which i think is quite allot considering i got a 7600gs
a c 127 à CPUs
April 17, 2008 11:06:54 PM

dobby said:
good resolve, vista SP1 has overall been a positive thing.

i know i got another 40fps in CS:S which i think is quite allot considering i got a 7600gs

Well depending on your previous FPS that does seem like a lot. I still get about 150FPS in TF2 and it can spike to 200FPS on the right map.
April 18, 2008 1:08:04 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Well depending on your previous FPS that does seem like a lot. I still get about 150FPS in TF2 and it can spike to 200FPS on the right map.

Jimmy, I want to take you on in TF2
a c 127 à CPUs
April 18, 2008 1:16:41 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
Jimmy, I want to take you on in TF2

You sure? I am one crazy player. May not be the best but I do some random crazy stuff. I like to go behind enemy lines as a pyro and either find a sniper to axe or a group to flame the crap out of from behind. I guess that would be best for a spy but its more fun as a pyro. Best thing to so as a pyro vs heavy is run around him.

Oh last night, this is funny, I was on Warpath as a medic and I was in the 3rd point spawn but was stuck since the other team owned it. Then I popped my head out and saw a lone (at the time) heavy. Ran up with my bonesaw and started to plan my attack. Then a medic came and started healing him. But instead of running away I decided to go for it. I totaly bonesawd a healed heavy to death. It was awesome. If only I had FRAPs going then.

Oh but I will get my server IP and let you know.
a c 127 à CPUs
April 18, 2008 4:48:39 PM

Got it. Its:
72.51.45.217:27015 bay-clan.org/FAST DL & SPAWN/CUSTOM MAPS-Ca

I am a server leader and Admin. Its just freeakin awesome. Oh and a new map is coming out tomorrow from our leader. Well I hope. I think its going to be CP_Freightyard. He also created CFT_Casbah.

Maybe I will see you in game. My Steam ID is same as here. [BAY] jimmysmitty. I will be on about 4-5PM PST. Just watch out though. If our leader gets on, his name is Volcom, he is really freakin good as Demo/Scout. He can double the score of the next highest score easily.
!