Sign in with
Your question

Settin up a remote server

Last response: in Networking
October 29, 2008 1:21:45 PM

Hi!

I want to build a server for my office .. but i need another 10 pcs to be able to access it from different locations (different cities) ... how can i get this to work?

All pcs need to share information in real time...

Data in the server must me updated everytime a change one of the pcs is done.. ie. changes in the inventory, price, etc.

So the main question is: What hardware do i need to make it work?

Server specs: (any suggestions are welcome)

SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DAL-E-O Dual LGA 771 Intel 5000X ATX Server Motherboard - Retail

2 x Intel Xeon E5410 Harpertown 2.33GHz LGA 771 80W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80574E5410A - Retail

2 x Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) ECC Fully Buffered Dual Channel Kit Server Memory Model KVR667D2D4F5K2/4G - Retail

4 x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

iStarUSA D-4-B350PL-RED Steel 4U Rackmount Server Case - Retail

Please help me out!! thank you!

More about : settin remote server

October 29, 2008 1:43:10 PM

what type of file are the client PCs accessin/changing? is there a DB of some sort?

basicaly your just looking at FTP setup. a static IP for the server is best, will need to open firewall ports to allow remote access and probably have port forwarding to the server PC.

Specs are not that important - what you listed above is plenty (depending on what you are running on it) for basic data, its probably plenty.

More info needed around exactley what you want the client pcs to do

October 29, 2008 2:29:39 PM

There will be a database.... files are just like the ones you create in access.. not heavy at all ...

what im interested in is the static IP u mentioned... I need one right?, i cant just set up firewall ports (are this refererd to as gateways?) and a forwarding port??

could this do the work?

SonicWALL 01-SSC-5730 TZ 170 SP 10 Nodes Wired - Retail (as the forwarding port)

SonicWALL 01-SSC-6080 TotalSecure 5 (TZ 150) - Retail

Thank you...
October 30, 2008 9:44:13 AM

The building you have the server in will clearly need to be on the internet - some ISPs issue a static IP - this will remain your IP untill you change providers, some issue dynamic IPS these change from time to time - if your ISP changes your IP without you knowing then the remote PCs will no longer know what address to conect to.

You can get round this with a domain hosting server - so they conect to a web address not an IP.

depending on your hardware setup your gateway is normaly the router and also a firewall but this is not always the case

!