Sign in with
Your question

OC e4300 to e8400 worth it?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 15, 2008 6:00:32 PM

Currently Ive got an e4300 OCed to 2.925ghz.

I recently found that my mobo (975X chipset) can support the e8400 with a bios update.

And I've just found the CPU for only £135 OEM inc VAT + delivery (not saying where, only 5 left in stock! :kaola:  )

CEX will buy my old CPU for £30.... so £105 for the upgrade.

Do you think its worth it?

Power consumption is a concern of mine, and the e8400 has the same 65W as my e4300 at stock speeds, so the upgrade should reduce the consumption as well as be faster (as the OC on the e4300 must increase its wattage by quite a bit).

My AW9D-MAX can only reach a 380mhz fsb, so I wont be OCing the chip by much untill a mobo upgrade.

Also, I think that this may be one of the last CPUs my mobo can handle, as Intel may increase the FSB to 1600 for their next gen chips, so who agrees with me saying now is as good a time as any other to upgrade?!

More about : e4300 e8400 worth

April 15, 2008 10:50:38 PM

You havent really said what you are using the build for... if its gaming id say you wont notice a lick of difference, well not enough for a 100 pund investment. Something like video editing you might get a bit more out of it but who cares if it makes an extra 2 minutes.

Next gen intel chips will more than likely have a different socket anyway so you probably need a mobo upgrade for them anyways.

My thoughts, leave it be and save for the next upgrade.
April 15, 2008 11:34:08 PM

Smart man chookman, I agree whole-heartedly. nahalem will be much more worth it, and you probably wont notice the difference. Save the money, don't buy into the mass consumerism.
Related resources
April 15, 2008 11:45:49 PM

Come on, oswold--buy that Intel processor! Mass consumerism is what keeps America afloat!

;) 
April 16, 2008 12:04:31 AM

Have you left your voltage on "Auto".
You can likely get the e4300 to about those speeds w/o increasing voltage. The Mobo often increases voltage much more than necessary.
April 16, 2008 12:34:17 AM

Another vote here for saving the money and not upgrading. The difference will be little.
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2008 1:05:39 AM

chookman said:
You havent really said what you are using the build for... if its gaming id say you wont notice a lick of difference, well not enough for a 100 pund investment. Something like video editing you might get a bit more out of it but who cares if it makes an extra 2 minutes.

Next gen intel chips will more than likely have a different socket anyway so you probably need a mobo upgrade for them anyways.

My thoughts, leave it be and save for the next upgrade.

Agreed.
April 16, 2008 2:16:26 AM

Most processor designs are thermally limited not by their thickness, but their architecture. The c2d architecture limits just about all of the processors to overclock into the 2.8-3.2GHz with retail HSF. The 45nm die shrinkage has helped a bit but Intel cranked up the fsb and kept the multipliers low so it's not cheap and your 975, like my p965 chipset, CAN run the newer processors with a bios update but they won't be stable overclockers.
I personally am still thrilled with my e6300 selection over a year ago for $173. It's smoking fast, still, with only a 50% overclock. If I had waited a few months I could have done a better overclock with the e4000 seires that came out but they weren't much cheaper on release. Then came the e2000 series and I won't build anything but with these beastlies for overclocked systems. The $80 prices and e6600 performance when overclocked puts a huge smile on my face because it runs the cheapest ddr2-800 ram at a 1:1 ratio.
Long story short, don't bother with an upgrade, you've got a GREAT machine right there and don't be jelous of the guy with a faster processor that payed hundreds more for it, gets only 10% better performance, and can't overclock as high percentage wise.
April 16, 2008 5:51:57 PM

Thx guys, I wont do it.
I was trying to convince myself not to, but the signs were telling me to do it, even though I knew it wouldn't be very noticable.

As for further OCing, the e4300 can reach 3.2ghz with a 355fsb, but if I play a game for a couple of hours, I get frequent crashing. Vcore is at 1.475v and temps reach about 70c under a sythe ninja. I get the same probs at 3.1ghz too, just less frequently, but still irritating, so I leave it at 2.9ghz.

Don't know what my problem is, as the RAM is running under 400mhz, i've givien the northbridge a small bump in voltage (1.50 to 1.60v).
!