Power supply compatible with the 9800GX2?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Assuming your friend doesn't have too much stuff in the PC already, then yes.

Next time you want to get info on a PSUs efficacy, you might want to include specs, including anything that is drawing power

Should work!

I recommend against the GX2 though its really VERY overrated. does he have an SLI motherboard? get an SLI setup over that thing. and even so get a new board and an sli setup over that thing.

It's' his $600. Not yours. I've done that so many times. People ask me for computer advice, I tell them what they need or give them good options. They go buy what they want anyways. So basically why did they ask in the first place. GRRR!..
I'm sure he will be happy with it. I would be to.... just not $600 happy. It's worth about $400 to me.

akhilles

Splendid
jay2tall, tell me about it. In the other thread a user building a photoshop pc is getting a gaming gpu. lol. My family pc uses a crap nvidia 7100 (no integrated gpu, otherwise i would use that instead) for everything from internet to excel to photoshop to video editing. No diff between my pc with 8800gt and theirs except for applying filters in Photoshop & cpu-intensive applications. It's very easy to find the right parts: look at the recommended system requirements on the box of the software.

Yeah look at the box and go one notch higher. I know what you are saying there. Honestly I usually tell people, these days with Vista and all, to get a moderate card. Unless someone is going on the cheap I usually say, hey spend $75 on a graphics card and everything will look pretty and you won't get that screen flutter. I Like the 8600GT, HD2600pro/xt, HD 3650 or something like that for those situations. They are not gaming cards but are great for the power user which doesn't just surf the internet. Obviously if you are budget limited you can get something cheaper or a board with a good built in solution, which surprising both nVidia and ATI are really starting to do with their HTPC boards.