Flashing my bios. The risks?

redfin

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
So I realize my motherboard, although running my e8400 seemingly fine, that the bios on the motherboard I just bought had a revision to "support" my E8400 which is newer then my bios version. Also, I am having trouble overclocking to 400mhz FSB which Shadow703703 states in his legendary GS3L OC guide is a possible result of not having the F8B bios version. So, I want to flash and solve my two "problems". How risky is it? What is the safest way to do it? Any step by step guide to insure I do it 100% correctly?

Latest bios versions: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2629
Shadow7037 93's sweet GS3L OC guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/f...rint=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

THANKS!

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
there's most likely a utility included in your mobo's software cd. use that, and for the love of Pete, don't touch the computer or anything while it's flashing. send the family out of the house, lock up the pets, freeze and don't blink or breathe.

Use Qflash its safest

Get the latest bios and place it on a flash drive(uncompress it so it should have a .f8b extension)
Reboot the system(with the flash drive plugged in) and while its posting hit the END key.
This should load Qflash(you can also enter the bios then hit F8). Select your flash drive(it may show up as a floppy with a letter like a or b) select the bios file you want to use and follow the on screen instructions to flash.
Once done it will tell you, then you can use the reboot(i forget how they word it) option built in to restart the system.

Once restarted enter the bios and restore defaults then remake all your settings. Save and cross your fingers.

Also make sure when you overclock the memory does not get pushed too far. A memory multiplier of 2.0 will give you DDR2 800 with the fsb of 400...

DO NOT TURN OFF THE SYSTEM DURING A FLASH.
DO NOT FLASH IN WINDOWS EVER!!!!

redfin

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Ok I was wondering about flashing in windows too because Gigabyte is pushing their free program @Bios that is a windows flash program. Sketchy.

Thanks guys or girls!