New PC..advice needed before I build

italpasta

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
This system will have many uses...some gaming, video conversion, dvd burning, a lot of web browsing/outlook/word processing, some tasks from work. I was on a 14.1 inch laptop for 4 years, so I am desperate for a large monitor. Anyways check it out:

Monitor:
Samsung 245BW 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Processor:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor - 2.40GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB

CPU Fan:
Scythe Ninja Plus REV.B Heatpipe Heatsink w/120MM Fan

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

RAM:
Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 Dual Channel 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400(800MHz) CL 4-4-4-12 Low Latency DIMM Kit (PDC24G6400LLK )

DVD-RW:
LITEON LH-20A1L(Black) SATA LightScribe 20X DVD-Writer

Case:
Antec P182 Advanced Super Mid Tower Case- Gun Metal Black

Mouse:
Logitech (931562) G5 Laser Mouse

Keyboard:
Logitech Media Keyboard

PSU:
Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX SILENT 620W ATX Triple Power Supply 120MM Fan 12V 50A Continuous 24PIN ATX

VIdeo Card:
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Video Card - 512MB GDDR3

Hard Drive:
I have 2 existing SATA drives.

As for the OS, I have an MSDN subscription from work, so I can use Vista x64 or XP with SP3. Which would you prefer?

The total price came to about $2,000 CDN. I wish I could get it down a bit, but I guess the monitor and video card really jack up the price of the system. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

akhilles

Splendid
The most balanced build of the day goes to *drum rolls*...

You did your homework. You balanced out the build with the right parts. It'll pay off.

Shop at ncix.com & price-match directcanada.com for lower prices. Sales start tomorrow night. Just log in & add the parts to your cart & wait for deals.

italpasta

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
Thanks for the input everyone!

I went to see some monitors today, and honestly I really think 22" is sufficient. 24" is BIG, and my desk is such that it will be relatively close (maybe 2-3 feet away from my face), so it might destroy my retinas. Anyways, thanks again everyone. I'll let you know soon when I am about to order everything.

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
I know that everyone always recommends the Logitech G5, but there's one thing about it that I hate. The scroll wheel is a little loose, and sometimes it will scroll without actually rotating a full "click." I guess for most people this isn't a big deal, but it really aggravates me when I'm doing 3D work in Blender and an accidental zoom adds another 10 seconds of loading. Maybe after I upgrade my Pentium 4 processor this won't be such a problem though :lol:

My only concerns are the following. If you are gaming a Q6600 won't be as much of a benefit as a newer e8xxx series chip. They are dual core but 45n, and OC like crazy. The q6600 is on a 266MHz buss not 333 and has really been out a while. (old tech). There are benefits to quad core but they are usually encoding and calculations of sorts.

You had an intel chipset with an nVidia card. You won't be able to SLI. If that is not your intention then you are perfectly fine. The 8800GTS 512 is a GREAT card.

I'd stick with a 22" display if you are gaming. the 24" will have a higher resolution and a single card might have trouble handling some games on the highest settings.

italpasta

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
Thanks for the input.

I will re-think the G5. As for the video card, I won't be using SLI. I will be gaming sometimes, but maybe just Team Fortress or something, so maybe I will consider the 9600 GT.

As for the Q6600, which Core 2 Duo processors would you recommend instead? The E6750 or E8400 perhaps?

Thanks!

It looks VERY good. In fact, it looks a lot like my own setup :)

Go for a 245T or 275T monitor if you can afford the additional $200 or $300. It is a better type of panel - better colors, better viewing angles.

Stick with the quad if video conversion is something you will do often.

Sooo you say you will be gaming sometimes.. what will you be doing the other times? This will determine what you should really get. The e8400 is an awesome chip, it overclocks awesome. The e6720 and e8200 are the same speed stock, the e8200 is just more expensive. You can save some money with the e6750 though. It all depends on what you are looking for,

italpasta

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
As stated in my first post, I will be gaming sometimes. However, most of the computer's use will be for browsing/outlook/office, watching/burning dvd's, video/photo editing, etc. I will not be playing Crysis or anything crazy. Perhaps Team Fortress, not much else.

Thanks!

akhilles

Splendid
Team Fortress isn't very GPU-intensive. Even 7900gt is more than plenty.

If you overclock, no question about Wolfies. If you don't, Kentfield(q6600) meets your needs. The thing is E8400 is sold at most places. Next shipment may be April. X3110 which is the same costs less.

BTW, Wolfdale is faster than Conroe/Allendale clock for clock thanks to the new features (cpu instruction).

italpasta

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
After reviewing everyone's advice, and rethinking the tasks that I will be performing on this computer, I have tweaked it slightly:

Monitor:
LG L226WTY-BF 22" LCD Monitor 2ms, 1680 x 1050, 3000:1 CR, 300 cd/m2, D-Sub, DVI-D

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Any more suggestions? :kaola:

If you are going for the e8400 and plan to overclock. You will be better off with PC8000 or PC8500 memory. PC6400 will run 1:1 at 400MHZ and the e8400 can easily go beyond that. You always want to have your memory at least 1:1 or faster. (4:3, 5:3, not 3:4, 4:5)

italpasta

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions!

Also, will Speedfan for example allow me to control my Scythe Ninja with a 3pin connected to the motherboard CPU FAN slot? Sorry if this sounds stupid, but to me it seems that if it's not 4pin it will run at 12V constant and I of course don't want that!

Thanks!

ganpachi

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
I have an almost identical setup, and no, I don't think speedfan will do that since I tried much the same thing for my intake and exhaust fans. Your best bet is to get some sort of rheostat intermediary controller (like that comes with the tuniq tower).

akhilles

Splendid
I gave up after digging pages of documentation on how to control cpu fan with speedfan. It's not a bad app.

I have had a $20 4-fan control for a year now. Works with any fan. cpu, intake, exhaust, blowhole, whatever.