Fairly new build receding performance.

DarkCypher0x0

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hello,

This build was made on the 20th of October of 2007, with the video card being added in November the 1st. When I first bench marked this system it came in around 10k in 3dMark06 until recently I noticed some games just appear sluggish and choppy and I had uninstalled 3dMark06 previously. I didn't change anything to the system and I keep it dust free.

Yesterday I decided to update the BIOS, they updated successfully, problem is actually a little worse, the Frames dropped by 9 FPS on average. So today I reinstalled 3dMark06 only to notice my score is 4k marks worse than when I first got this build running, it's now at 6130.

Everything at a glance seems to be running ok, even though I noticed some sluggishness about the PC before the BIOS update I kind of suspect that as a big culprit also my Video Card isn't too stable neither. Be that as it may, I'm not exactly sure, could use someone else's input.

My system specs:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2800 MHz (14 x 200) 5600+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4
System Memory: A-Data Extreme Edition 2048 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
Video Card: ASUS GeForce EN8800 GT (512 MB)
Monitor: Acer AL2016W [20" LCD]
Sound Card: Creative SB Live! 24-bit
Power Supply: 600W OCZ GameXtreme
BIOS: Award Modular (02/18/08)

This system has never been overclocked and this is a fresh install of Windows only a few weeks old.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
change drivers much? Got anything else in particular running in the background? A good uninstall and reinstall of drivers may bring it back to life, make sure all the eye candy settings are where you want them as that would bring your fps down quite quickly. AA and AF to nothing and rerun 3dmark.

DarkCypher0x0

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
No avail on any. Used Driver Cleaner after uninstalled as well. I closed everything I was allowed to close and put all my visual settings and whatever to the lowest.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Another option, pick up system mechanic 8. This will help remove invalid shortcuts, reg entries, bad drivers, and has a much better defrag than M$. (just a suggestion) Also is S.M.A.R.T enabled in the BIOS? or AHCI? another would be to go to Start>Run>Msconfig>enter go to Services tab, turn off what you do not use (i don't use a printer, so I unchecked all items pertaining to them) then to the Startup tab (If you don't use it often enough for it to load everytime you log on, un-check it)

another simple thing: rt. click My Computer>Properties>Advanced Tab>Settings (performance)>advanced tab>change. from here, select system managed size>set>ok
It will state that you need to re-boot for the changes to take effect, do so.

DarkCypher0x0

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Yes, this is a recent install of XP, and I'm not OC'ing anything. I ran all nTune tests and they all passed ( if you have any other tests I should try, by all means link me ). The problem still remains, S.M.A.R.T is disabled and so is AHCI. Today I think I'm going to try a different PSU and reseat the Video Card.