iWannaBeAnExpertSomeday

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Hello!
I was wondering if anyone knows about CGI (Computer Generated Imagery), and if anyone could recommend me a technical specification of a machine to be built for creating CGI adverts (Preferably minimum requirements ad recommended requirements, there more info the better :) )
I have also posted in the software section of the forum about software specs for this type of system, if anyone knows about it well!!
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance..

Budget would help.

But generally this would be more than enough:
Q6600/Q9300
P35-DS3L/DS3R/P35-P5K
500GB + 7200.11 HDD(s)
Corsair 550VX/450VX/520HX or PP&C 610
9600GT/3850 or even a 8600 (wouldn't need a high end card unless you plan to do some really heavy editing or gaming)
A good CPU cooler like Xigmatek HDT-S1283 esp. if OCing.

any case, DVD RW,etc you need/want/like.

iWannaBeAnExpertSomeday

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Thanks!
if possible, could you elaborate on why to chose the following (components you listed).. and which are more necessary etc.

As you might have guessed, I'm a bit of newb in this area and the more information i get the more useful!
I'm discarding the budget part of it for the moment, as I just want an open view of everything.. but of course budget will counts lots in the end :)

Also, I'm guessing these are mostly recommended requirements.. could you let me know of minimum requirements, and any in between if possible; would like to just compare around.. explanations as to why you would suggest them would help too.

Thanks again for help! greatly appreciated..

tonyp12

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
CGI, 3D modeling and ray-tracing invloves a lot of number crunching.

So the fastes cpu with most cores is the way to go.

And it will take you years to be really good at the 3D modeling software you choose.

iWannaBeAnExpertSomeday

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
it won't necessarily be me using the 3D modeling software, just looking at the hardware option in order to get best performance versus cost.. but also the quality aspect of it, that's why i need few examples to compare and at least a brief explanation on the benefits/minuses of each, if possible.

Thanks for the responses by the way!!

Q6600/Q9300.... both are quad cores at a very good price/performence and OC very well

P35-DS3L/DS3R/P35-P5K....solid and stable motherboards for the CPUs listed above, very good for OCing DS3R had RAID

500GB + 7200.11 HDD(s) .... very good cost per GB and almost as fast as a Raptor

Corsair 550VX/450VX/520HX or PP&C 610... stable and good quality PSUs